Friday, May 8, 2009

Blue Sand

When my kids were little, one of our favorite things to play with was the sandbox!! For me as much as for them, I think. My Dad, "Papa" built them a wooden sandbox with seats on the corners. Gennifer and her cousin Donavon, were the first to use that sandbox. And they loved it. Then a few years later, when Erika was big enough to join in, it was used and loved even more! I don't know what ever became of that sandbox, but we had it on our patio when we lived in a little duplex, and I can remember hours and hours of fun out there. We would wet the sand, and make sandcastles, and burry our feet, and put our little people in there, and yes, threw a lot of it outside the sandbox too!! No worries, it swept up fine. I couldn't WAIT for my grandchildren to have a sandbox. That day came today. I found colored silica sand at WalMart and instead of the 49.00 Turtle Sandbox with lid, I used the 10.00 yellow pool I bought last week during a heat wave. Same exact size, and much more economical. I didn't fill the sandbox too much this time, not knowing yet how the kids would react, and how much would stay in the box. I put Noah in it after his nap today. He LOVED it! He filled and dumped, and refilled and dumped, no less than a hundred times!! Made vroom-vroom noises with his trucks, and had gleeful expressions on his face the entire time. A little bit did escape the box, but I swept it up and put it right back in. This is going to be hours and hours of fun I can tell. Hannah Bug....hurry over. Claire, you are a few months away yet from enjoying it, but you will too.



7 comments:

Kelly said...

Like the blue sand! And good idea about using the pool. Derek was never big on his sandbox, unfortunately.

Lauri said...

You are genius! I love the idea of using the pool as a sandbox. I'm not familiar with the blue sand but I love it.

Genn said...

Blue sand. Intersting. Looks fun. I wanna play. Hannah's on her way.

Kristi said...

That is so totally cool! I love the blue sand, that makes it ten times more fun then regular sand. Okay that's it, I'm coming over with Riley because Camp Runamuk is way better than Mommy's house!!

everyday katie said...

That blue sand is awesome! What kid wouldn't love that?

My kids LOVE sand boxes so a big part of me wants to have one. But it's impossible to get out of Reid's prosthetic leg...and even moreso, the liner he has to wear underneath it. Honestly, it takes a week or 2 to get all the sand out.

I don't care if he plays in the sand on occasion...he's a little boy. He NEEDS that. But I'd hate to clean it every day.

I wish I could send them to your house to play.

Tawny said...

What a great idea! Love it! I'm sure he had a great time!

Anonymous said...

blue sand! how cool :P my niece would love this