Monday, July 20, 2009

Update on my Mom

Well, it has been a little over two weeks now since my Mom's accident. She now has a bright purple cast on her leg, and it has been confirmed by MRI that she has also done ligament damage to her knee as well. She has gotten SO much better at maneuvering herself from wheelchair to sofa and/or bathroom, and all, but with the knee damage, the knee is slipping out of place and she is fearful of falling again. The doctor wanted to allow for some more healing time on the leg before they do the knee surgery, but she is going to call today to try to schedule it before she has another fall and does further damage. The shoulder is healing, but not as quickly as they thought, and there could also be some damage there as well. But we don't want to think about that right now!! Yesterday Eri went over in the morning and visited her, and then Greg and I went to take her to lunch and Glenda and Deanna joined us. Then we took her to do her grocery shopping. Greg pushed the wheelchair and I pushed the buggy, and she got to go up and down each and every aisle to pick her groceries. Then we went back to her house and tried to place things at her level from the wheelchair for her to fix things more easily. She is still disgusted and obviously wishes this hadn't happened at all, but she is getting much better at moving about. I know these 3 months in a cast will be the longest of her life, but she is getting through it. Thank goodness she has her family all close by and many friends who have been stopping over each and every day to visit and bring food and goodies. I want to thank everyone who has called and asked about her, and thank you to those who have sent cards....it means so much to my Mom.
I think she is coming back here for a few days this week again. Just trying to mix it up to help pass the time. Any good movie rental ideas????
I took this picture last weekend of my Mom with my brother David. She is going to so love her new house. Even though she can't really enjoy it fully right now, it has been nice for her to be able to go out on the patio to sit and look at the lake and at the boats going by. All of her neighbors have been great, and no one passes without a "HELLO DIANE...HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!" And someone is there daily, and she has gotten to go out many evenings on the boat for a nice cruise. She said that the other night they even had a concert at one of the houses, and all the boats went out to enjoy it. Thankfully she can get onto the boat with help and enjoy that too.
So, there you have it....two weeks in, and 10 to go.....

18 comments:

Genn said...

Aww, cute pic of Gma and David. So she does have to have surgery on her knee? Bummer. Did you ask her about us coming on Thursday?

Katie said...

Where will Diane be on Wednesday? We come into LAX Wednesday morning and planned on going straight to her house, then on to Nana's.

Lauri said...

What an ordeal...especially for someone who enjoys independence. It's nice that you're all close by and willing to help.

I just read your post below and I'd have to agree; I also love gadgets. And your watermelons look scrumptious. I can't believe how many you have.

Katie said...

And yes, the verdict is Kidney Stones, although I have yet to pass them. Nothing like being drugged up on pain pills while on the most beautiful tropical island. I'm trying very hard to try and enjoy!

Kris said...

Genny, yes surgery is for sure! And yes, she would love to have you come on Thursday!
Katie...I will double check, but she isn't going too far these days with the exception of dr appts. So she will be thrilled to see you! I am so sorry you are sick on your honeymoon! KS are awful. Greg, Mark and David have all had them! UGH!!!
Lauri, I sure wish you still lived here!!!

deb said...

So glad shes getting alone better.....if you havent seen them heres a couple of my favs....August Rush, Momma Mia, Dreamgirls, Australia,and my all time fav...GREASE!!!!!

Kristi said...

Glad she's feeling better, I hope it's a quick recovery!

Katie said...

How about tell her that we will bring her lunch on Wednesday, so about 11:30 or 12. Is there a place you know of that she likes in her neck of the woods?? Should I stop and get Nana first and bring her too, or would it be easier on Diane if I visited with Nana after wards?

Kris said...

Katie,
That time is perfect. She has PT at about 3:00. I think you could bring Nana if you want. That's up to you. I will ask her, and let you know via blog.
Lunch....hmmmm, what about Friscos sandwiches? On Imperial. Or whatever Katie, just make it easy.

Katie said...

Friscos Sandwiches sounds good and easy to me. What kind of sandwich does she like?
Perfect, just let me know what she says in regards to Nana. It's no biggie to bring her or just go by her place after. I can always take Nana to Polly's for after my sandwich settles and get some pie ;)
Thanks for the lunch idea!

Kris said...

Kate,
You guys are going to be tired and all from traveling, so just kill two birds with one stone and get Nana to come along with you. Just a regular ol italian sub is perfect.

Katie said...

Did Nana move too? I believe I know where she lives, however I don't know where Diane lives? I would hope that my Dad does and I will just get her address from him and plug it into the GPS. If Cody doesn't mind picking Nana up, that would be great and then I can drop her back off.
Oh that would be great to see you and Noah too!!! I have not seen him since Donna's wedding and he looks to be such a Cutie! I hope you can make it.

Maryrose said...

Tell your mom I felt her pain, almost. I think she has a bit more than I did. Hopefully every day will get better. If she needs a wine visit, I am her girl ;)

Debbie said...

Hi Kris,

I thought I'd let you know that I have read your blog a few times too..Enough to figure out your Genn's mom and that you obviously enjoy your grand kids as much as I do. In fact, we seem to have a few things in common. Hope your mother's recovery is quick. How scary that must have been for you all..Oh! and I loved your post on kitchen towels....I LOVE them too for some reason and can hardly pass a new or cute one up when I see it. haha Have a good day...Debbie

Tawny said...

So glad to see/hear about an update! Hope things continue to go well :) Oh and I LOVE your new sign!

Kris said...

Hi everyone...
Katie, I will have Cody get Nana picked up. And you just meet them at my Mom's. I will play it by ear, for Noah and I to come.
When do you go back to WA?

Katie said...

Okay, sounds good. We leave Saturday late morning. ;(

Kelly said...

I'm glad she is starting to feel a little better. Your mom is a trooper!