Saturday, October 3, 2009

HATES IT!!

Let's try this again, shall we?
There is something my girls would say, particularly when trying on clothes, that comes from an episode of Sex In The City. If it didn't work, they would say very boldly, with emphasis on the HA....."HAtes IT!!"
Well, every time I walked through that bathroom where I painted the other day I would cringe at the color of that applique. I loved the addition of the applique, but that color just did NOT work. I was trying for a much more subtle color, and should have gone with my original thought in the first place, which was to paint it the same color as the cabinet. But noooooooo, I had to try something different. Again, the beauty of paint. So, today I painted over it, the same creamy white as the cabinets! SOOOOO much better now! Now, I can start to like this bathroom, and move on to the other things I need to do for this bathroom face lift.


And just for fun, this is a picture of the wall in the bathroom opposite the sink. There is no window in this bath, and I had this window scene painted on the wall shortly after we moved here 16 years ago. I have repainted the bathroom a couple times, but not the scene that I love so much. I used qtips to get in between all the small spaces. I have never tired of this "window" in my bathroom that I had painted to look out at what you would see, which is the orange grove beyond, had there actually been a window in this room.

10 comments:

everyday katie said...

You are on FIRE!! IT's amazing what paint can do to update and transform.

Janene said...

I see where you were going with painting the applique the bronze color...you wanted to highlight it, just not so much.
How about dry brushing your bronze over the applique? That way it will subtly highlight the piece. Or maybe even a glaze.
When it is painted the same color as the cabinet it just blends in.
If you don't like it you can always repaint it....I love paint!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Debbie said...

I like it soooo much better the same color...and it's not that I didn't like it the other way. I just like this better. And that picture you had drawn on the wall may be one the cutest things I ever saw...SUCH a good idea for a windowless bathroom...

Kelly said...

love it! i have not been to your hiuse in ages, it seems!

Lauri said...

I think I like the re-do better too. It's amazing what a little paint can do. I'm going to post pictures of my bathroom soon. I just re-painted my cabinets too.

Katie said...

Good for you to change it so quickly so that You Can Really Enjoy It!!! I liked it Both ways, that is if were polling ;)

I adore the window scene painting! If you have been in your house for 16 yrs, I don't think I've ever been in the bathroom???? I've never seen that! And, speaking of your house, I found a picture of You, Aunt Diane, Chad, Keri, and I in your living room one year at Christmas that is just the most precious Picture!!!!! I will have to bring it to Don's Wedding to show you! It must be at LEAST 12 yrs OLD!!!!! ;)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hey girl! You gotta get that followers thingie going on your blog so the forgetful old gals like me automatically get updated when you post. LOL Love your header - so pretty.

The vanitiy does look better all creamy white - I went back to see what you were talking about. I still need to try Karen's sanswich recipe too. Her blog was my inspiration for starting mine - now if she would just stay home long enough to blog more often! LOL

I hope all is well with you and DH and the grands and I hope it is cooling down just a bit for you all!

Thanks for stopping by and always leaving me with a smile!!

lots of hugs from the other coast, Linda

Tawny said...

I love it, both ways were beautiful, but I agree that the newest paint is great! I love all your fall decor too! I'm so happy the weather finally matches!

Kristi said...

Love it, love both ways, but I think this new app is prettier. That painting in your bathroom is so pretty too.

Maryrose said...

Great redo... I have been trying to decide what to do with my moms bathroom. The paint looks so pretty and I love the embellishment. I think I like it white better too ... but I thought it was pretty the other way too. Love the cat in the window..I always enjoy using that bathroom...tee hee ;)