Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Zukes

Tonight I picked a few of my first zukes and summer squash.
I sliced them lengthwise and brushed them with olive oil and seasoned with S & P and grilled them til just fork tender.
My neighbor was making a tamale pie of sorts and wound up with more than she intended so she brought over a pot to share with us.  I added a little of this, and that, and made up some cornbread to pour over the top and baked it up.  Greg said no dinner again, but I made him a plate anyway and he ate every bite of the tamale pie plus two servings of squash.  I need to get that weight back on him.
Sort of pitiful looking plate with no salad or anything on it.  But with Greg not eating much of anything, I am not making much food.  Unless of course our kids are here to share it with us.  Greg thinks he might be a tiny bit better today.  He had some meetings he had to be at, so he took vicodin during the day and that could also be the reason he thinks he is better.  Because he sure isn't "better" right now to look at him sitting in the recliner with that same grimace on his face that I have become so accustomed to.  Poor Greg.  If only  there was something I could do for him.
I am posting this while sitting outside on the front porch swing, listening to the rainbird go tic-tic-tic-tic..ppssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as the intoxicating fragrance from my gardenia bush is floating all around me, sending me back to the summer of 1975 when I worked as a waitress in a little diner near my home, where I had some wonderful regular customers who would bring me big bags of gorgeous sweet smelling gardenias to take home and enjoy and they always had one to pin on my uniform too.  Oh that smell will always be a favorite of mine.


6 comments:

Genn said...

I didn't know about that memory of yours from 1975 as a waitress with customers who brought you bags of gardenias. How sweet.

That dinner and those zuchini look good. I'm glad Dad ate it. Keep on fattening him up! Make him some more PW food! It's got lots o butter. He needs it. Poor Dad. I wish we could fix it for him.

Debbie said...

Good morning Kris...Your zuchini look great! I love them cooked that way too. I am sorry to hear poor Greg is still suffering...what an ordeal for him. I will continue to lift him up. He has got such a great cook to tempt him ~ I'm not at all surprised he couldn't resist that yummy meal. Have a GOOD day. HUGS, Debbie

Linda said...

Wow, you have squash already...mine just have flowers on them. I think they are in too much shade. Dinner looks delicious. I have had the same trouble with not making much to eat lately. Don has not had an appetite at all the last few months and we finally found out that he has polups growing in his nasal cavity. Thank goodness they are benign and he is on a steroid regiment now to shrink them. We have Greg in our thoughts and prayers.

Diane said...

Your veggies look fabulous! My thoughts and prayers are with Greg. How awful to feel so poorly. He is lucky to have such a wonderful cook trying to tempt him. I just read you most recent posts and it sounds like you have been busy. I loved your tea party pictures!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, Loved seeing the bounty of your garden-but enjoyed picturing you on the front porch with the scent of gardenias floating through the air. Wish I could come join you! I'll be lifting your dear hubby up in prayer-it has to be so discouraging for him and you.
Blessings on your day my friend.
Noreen

Kelly said...

mmmmmm, u always make me hungry!