Monday, October 4, 2010

Home From Vegas

I am home from Las Vegas, with a cold!  I met 10 girlfriends from high school.  Some of us haven't seen each other in 32 years.  We all turned 50 this year, so we thought it was time for a celebration.  They flew in from all around the U.S.  I didn't take a camera.  Can you believe that?  The one who ALWAYS takes the pictures, didn't even bring a camera.  We had a wonderful time.  Laughed for 4 days straight.  When I left on Thursday, it was HOT and muggy.  It was VERY hot and muggy in Vegas.  And today, where I live, it was a perfect fall day.  Brisk breezes, a little light rain, leaves swirling on the walkways.  Just perfect.  Even though I woke up feeling crummy, it was a beautiful day.
I look forward to something at the beginning of every October.  Putting up The Great Pumpkin light.  This afternoon, I went outside right about dusk to see the light and take some pictures.
Here it is...Oh Great Pumpkin.
I love seeing this light up on our house.
I love when the leaves all fall, and lay in uneven drifts in the yard.  The crows come in droves to pick the nuts off the trees, and leavea their pods and shells in messy piles on the driveway.  And pumpkins begin to appear in my front planter as if this is where they grew, and are now waiting to be picked.
My favorite neighbors, Carl and Sue across the street, always have a festive display at their house too.
Fall is by far and away my favorite time of the year.  I love the colors, the weather, the shorter days, the foods, the smells, all of it.  I LOVE Fall!!!!
Look at the sky...very thick with clouds today.
It was the perfect kind of day to make soup.  This is one of the easiest and yummiest soups I have ever made.
Potato-Cheese, with bacon and green onion on top.  It felt good on my sore throat too.
Now I am taking my tired and achy self to beddy bye.  G'night.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Decorating the house for Autumn is an American tradition which I really love but sadly is not really carried out here in the UK which is a shame as I love it so much. When I was over in August I was amazed at the displays of Autumn decorations in Micheals and really wished that stores did that sort of thing over here. I'd love a great big porch that I could decorate with pumpkins, etc

Katie said...

Sounds like a fun reunion of ladies! I can't believe how hot it's been for you guys, so happy you guys are getting fall like weather now!

Debbie said...

Glad you had a good time with your girlfriends. How fun to see everyone after all this time. Your decs look good. I sooo love Fall too. What is it that makes so many feel this way? A bunch of little things together I think. Your soup looked good. I stuffed a chicken last night and made mash potatoes too. Don't know what I thought I was celebrating but it sure smelled good, haha...Hope you feel better soon. It is coming into the nasty cold season...sigh. Have a wonderful day Kris. HUGS

Genn said...

Hope you feel better soon!
One thing I hate about this time of year is cold and flu season!!!

That soup looks good. I just told Jake that it's time to keep all the ingredients for that on hand again.

Unknown said...

Soooooooooo, glad to hear you had a great time in Vegas. But, I for one am glad you are back. You and I think so much alike. I just love your outdoor decor and a big bowl of soup is a perfect way to start a Fall day. Yum

Welcome Home,
Kate

Lauri said...

I love your house...and the entire street you live on; always one of my favorites in Corona.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Pam said...

I can't believe you didn't take a camera!!! I love the fall... it's my favorite time of year. Your Halloween decorations look great and the bowl of soup sounds fabulous.

~Niki~ said...

oh drats~! i thought you were going to post the recipe for that yummy looking soup!
it rained over here today ,overnight it rained a lot! ya for FALL!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, I am so glad you got to have that reunion with your girlfriends. We only stayed in Vegas for one night but the traffic out was enough to drive me crazy. Your fall decorations look absolutely wonderful; I've still got some more I need to put up, now that we are home again.
Have a great afternoon.
Hugs, Noreen

Charlee said...

Soup recipe please????

Kris said...

I will post the recipe tomorrow!

Jennifer said...

LOVE LOVE all your pumpkins:) and your flags! I have such a huge flag collection (ok..not that huge but you know what I mean) and NO flag at our new house. Hubbie is still convinced there is the right place to drill holes here...what??!? Anyhoo - I really miss my flags.

Love the soup recipe, too. You should link back to this post this week for my Friday with Friends...and good fall recipes! Sounds like a yummy one.

Hope you are feeling better - quick.

Faith said...

This has been a good week for soup, and this looks like a keeper,
putting in my recipe file...

Faith said...

I love the fall, and guess I am not alone in my thinking.....comfort food, bounty from the gardens abounds, the colors and aromas of fall...after a long summer it is just perfect....I hope fall lasts a long time this year..