Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sheperds Pie & English Muffin Bread

I have always wanted to make Sheperds Pie, but for some reason, never have. The ingredients are simple to put together, and the results of this humble meal are delicious!   Especially satisfying on a rainy day.  Here we go.
First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Dice one onion and saute til soft.  Add one pound (or so) of lean ground sirloin and season with salt, pepper and garlic.  Brown meat, then drain pan before adding rest of ingredients.
   Add two bags (or so) of frozen mixed vegetables.  I had two 16 oz bags, and that was more than I needed.  About 1 1/2 bags this size will do.  Add 16 oz can of tomato sauce.  And for me, I wanted the mixture to thicken up more, so I added 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.  Simmer on low for a few minutes for veggies to soften and cook slightly.

Top this with plenty of mashed potatoes and spread evenly.  Then top with a handful of shredded parmesan cheese.   

Place in preheated oven at about 325 degrees for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and bubbly on top.
I served this with homemade English Muffin Bread and a green salad.  It was DELICIOUS!!!!  Oh my goodness, why have I never made this before?   I know that I will be making extra mashed potatoes the next time, and setting some aside to make this again soon!!!  Try it, and let me know what you think.
Now, some of you have asked about what kind of bread I was making yesterday.  So I will include that recipe too, since it is time to get your bread machines out again!
The texture of this bread is just like the English muffins you buy in the market.  The top is soft, and sinks in a bit, and the inside is airy and light.  It makes THE BEST toast!!!   Here is what you will need to make this yummy bread.
1 packet of yeast
3 cups bread flour
3 T dry milk powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water
Follow your bread machines instructions for placing ingredients into machine.  One of mine calls for the yeast first, and water last.  The other is totally different.  Select white bread setting and in a few short hours you will be enjoying a fresh baked warm slice, with melted butter settling into all of those "nooks & crannies."
Bon Appetit!!!

19 comments:

Tammy said...

I made shephard's pie last night too! I do mine different, though. It was pretty good. =) That bread looks super yummy!

Pam said...

Wow - both the shepherd's pie and the English muffin bread look amazing. My kind of comfort food Kris!

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks good...I am hungry! A wonderful meal!

Sinta Renee said...

I am going to try the bread recipe! It looks so good... and hot bread woth the rain is perfect... and a cup of soup:)

Linda said...

That bread looks incredible!! My Granpa used to make a pie like yours...he called it "The Thing"...he made it in an electric skillet on low and it baked with the lid on for quite a while...I never got his recipe, but it was really good!

Gloria Baker said...

Both look amazing but I love your english muffins dear Kris! gloria

Holly said...

I've never made Shepard's Pie either. Looks so good and it really couldn't be easier. Love you english muffin bread, I've made it three or four times since you gave me the recipe, it's our favorite toast. You are my favorite cook.

Kerri said...

In Pennsylvania, we make our shepards pie a little differently! We layer mashed potatoes and ground beef, topped with gravy, then corn or peas, and then more potatoes and gravy. Your way looks good too... especially with cheese on top!

Heather - The Good Life said...

Both recipes sounds great and perfect for this time of year. I'd have to get the mixed veggies without lima beans though. Never been a big fan of those. Have a terrific day!

glor said...

I also have never made a shepherd's pie but now I think I have to. Going to try this,thanks for the recipe. I'm hungry now just looking at the finished product!

Nicolle said...

I believe I've eaten shepherd's pie before, but I've never made it. We make something similar called stock pot casserole, and it's sooooo good! This is a really old/crappy looking post of mine...haha...but here is the recipe.

http://boydscrazymama.blogspot.com/2009/07/stock-pot-casserole.html

I will make your recipe! Thanks for sharing. :)

Sandy said...

All this comfort food you have been posting looks oh so delicious!! I want someone to make it for me!! (that's the best comforting part) :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Shepherd's Pie is definitely one of my favourite comfort foods and English Muffin Loaf is a tradition here at Christmas!All so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbiedoos said...

I love shephards pie, however, my family hates peas, and to me they should be in there LOL...looks good Kris!

Teresa Kasner said...

Now if I can get hubby to make that for us. :-)

He got a big box from Amazon yesterday and I asked him to open it.. it was the donut maker.. and I said "Happy Birthday!" - it's Kris' fault. hehe

He bought the applesauce today and the brown and powdered sugar and even a bottle of real maple syrup for the glaze. Now if I could only get him to make the donuts. hehe

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

Comfort food--my favorite! These are two great recipes and I think both will be hit with my family.

Jennifer said...

Shepherd's pie is by far, without a doubt, hands down my hubbie's favorite food!! Could eat it once a week - but we don't. He does request it every year for his birthday dinner. I mean, it is yummy and comfort food, etc. etc - but your number choice for "select whatever you wish" birthday dinner??!

Men and their meat and potatoes!:)

Angela@MyTastyLiving said...

I love Sheperds pie but haven't had it in a long time. Looks yummy, I'll have to try making it!

DaCraftyLady said...

oh yummy I have got to make this dinner, thanks for sharing...Debb