Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Crocheted Cowl And Bloomie

Good Tuesday morning to you.  The weather here has turned balmy again.  But they say it won't last but a couple of more days.  We have had an incredibly busy couple of weeks.  For most of which I have had a miserable cold.  My friend Dawn has given me an herbal remedy to try to keep the bronchitis that I typically get, at bay.  I am so hoping to be feeling well enough to have a fun Saturday with 4 of my blogging friends.
Recently after posting some photos from when we were up in Big Bear, a lady in Missouri who reads my blog asked me to make her a cowl just like the one she saw me wearing in photos.  She also wanted a Bloomie in the colors of her Alma Mater to wear along with it.  I was able to find the same yarn, and made her the exact same cowl.  Then made her Mustard Seed Bloomie.
  I am not one who likes to wear a big bulky jacket.  So I love wearing my cowl.  It keeps my neck, shoulders and face warm, and I can take it off very quickly when I have a HOT FLASH!!! 
 I have been very busy in my sewing room making some Christmas Bloomies.  I have several that have been commissioned, and then hope to show some in my Etsy shop too  If you would like to order one directly through  me, without Etsy, just let me know.  They are 15.00 for a color I keep in stock, and 20.00 for special orders.  My daughter has ordered 3 reds for teacher's gifts.  And her salon owner ordered some Christmas colors for the shop.  I will put up pictures of my Christmas colors by the weekend.  I have two reds, two greens, and two whites.  Of course, many other colors are available too.  Mustard Seed being one of the most popular right now for Fall and winter.  Here is a close up of the Mustard Bloomie I have just sent off to Regan.
The price of the cowl scarf is 45.00.  To add a Bloomie, 15.00.  But for the month of December, if you order both it will be 50.00, plus shipping if it needs to ship.
In other news, the very day after I said my Brown Leghorn was the only chicken not laying eggs yet, I got my first white egg.  And could have only been from Beatrice!  
Can  you see the small area of white where her ears are?  That is her earlobe.  This is how you determine the color of eggs that your chicken will lay.  White earlobes lay white eggs, brown ear lobes lay brown eggs.  But my blue/green layers don't have blue/green earlobes, they have green feet.  I have 5 hens, and I am getting 4 eggs daily.  I am waiting for my 5 for 5 day!
They are adding up pretty quickly now!  I think they are so pretty with all of those colors!
Yesterday I sadly removed all of my Fall decor, in preparation for Christmas.  So the week will be spent cleaning and getting ready to take all of my Christmas goodies down and begin to put Grovers Grove into the Holiday Spirit.  
I am enjoying seeing all of your homes getting dressed in their Christmas finery.  I may even go crazy and turn on the Christmas music while I work!!!
Til next time friends....
XO  Kris

22 comments:

Bethany said...

What are you going to DO with all those eggs???
The weather turned warm here, too--since we haven't even had our first frost yet my allergies are quite annoyed. I'm hoping it gets cold soon!

Unknown said...

Oh yay! I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for mentioning me in your post! I cannot wait to receive it! This made my day! Is it bad that I get THAT excited for a cowl/bloomie? No, I don't think so! Hugs!

Deb said...

Love the cowl. Beautiful colour.
Interesting about the chickens. Have fun decorating. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x4

Lauri said...

Sounds like you're going to be busy with all of those bloomies. Your cowl scarf looks wonderful; I love wearing them too! They're the perfect accessory.

I continue to learn about eggs and chickens from you. I didn't know about the color. I learned something new today!

Linda said...

You have certainly been busy! I haven't even thought about Christmas decor yet...I told Don on Sunday that the house was confused because he put up the outdoor lights and I still have Fall decor up everywhere!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are feeling better. Take that decorating slowly, we want you to still feel better and not have a set back. Fun cowl with a great punch of color on the bloomie. Are you going to show us all your Xmas ones?

Dawn said...

Wish I had some of those eggs. I am out and all the farmers around here ran out due to Thanksgiving pie making. I won't even bother with store bought eggs. Yuck!! I love the cowl, I agree I hate wearing a winter coat and would rather do a scarf, it also looks cuter. Hope you start feeling better soon:) Thanks for the chat today, I enjoyed our talk:)

Pammy Sue said...

I kept looking for the "owl" until I realized I read this wrong and it was a "cowl." LOL. Too many owls around blogland lately have my brain on one track.

Hope you are feeling better every day! Love the COWL and flower.

Debbie Kay said...

You are sooooo talented my little Cowl gal..........

Love how you wrapped a bow around those beautiful eggs..so pretty.

I will be putting up my Christmas pretties on Sunday. Work work work all week ya know what I mean?

Hope your'e feeling better. Been praying for you cuz I really want to meet up with you this Saturday.
Hugs,

Debbie

Patty Marker said...

I would love to see your chicken coop one day! I didn't know that about egg colors. I hope that herbal remedy does the trick and I hope to see you this weekend. Get well dear friend, Patty

Janelle Nelson said...

Hello! I met you at the Ventura Half. I haven't peeked at your blog yet but I saw crochet on Erikas page and clicked. I am just learning how to crochet!! you are talented and quick! i am on my first scarf (slow poke) LOVE the cowl and bloomie!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, I love your cowl and bloomy too! So sorry you are still fighting that nasty cold-so many folks are sick here. You'll have to let us know if the herbal remedy works for you and of course the name of it-I so prefer to take natural remedies vs. otc. It is so interesting learning about chickens from you-thanks for sharing. Have a good afternoon my friend.
Hugs, Noreen

Nicolle said...

I love the knitted cowl, and your bloomies! They are so pretty. My mom had knitted a few of the cowls, and I have one of them. I love it. It does keep you so very warm.

Those eggs are so pretty. I bet they are delicious too. We used to get fresh brown eggs from a man we knew out in the country, and to this day I can still remember how wonderful they tasted.

Can't wait to see pictures of Grover's Grove all decorated for Christmas. :))

Stacey said...

Love the mustard yellow bloomie.. The cowl is so warm looking.. How cool to have so many eggs now.. I hope you start to feel better SOON!!!

DaCraftyLady said...

Love the cowl Kris, and I never knew that about hens. You sure got some wonderful pics of your hens.. :) Love the flower on th ecowl.

Genn said...

The bloomie and cowl scarf you made for Regan looks SO good! I love it. I bet you will be busy with orders for those very soon.

I used eggs from you this morning for breakfast and Jake and Claire and I really enjoyed them. (H was in school, she missed out)
and I used two of them in my pumpkin pie! They are so much better than store bought eggs.

I texted you to come over and have a slice of pie. You didn't get it?

Kerri said...

You do beautiful work Kris...I bet you are going to have lots of orders coming your way! I had never heard of a cowl before!

Teresa Kasner said...

Kris.. love the cowl and flower... what a busy girl you are, even dealing with recovering from your illness! I love your eggs.. you're lucky that your girls are still laying.. our 3 chickens are down to only 1 egg a day. We need to get some lights in the henhouse!
****************************************
*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
****************************************
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Holly said...

I just can't believe that you, Claire and Hannah are all still sick! You might need Aunt Holly to come and take care of all of you! I saw that pic of you at the lake with that cowl on and I loved it. I didn't know you had made it. It's so soo pretty. Feel better!

Unknown said...

Busy girl! Love the cowls..I love to knit and crochet too. Mostly I just make dishcloths...easy way to keep my hands busy in the evenings.

I too need to do away with the fall stuff...there is snow outside...come on!

Enjoy the jingles!

Jill said...

The cowl scarves and bloomies are so beautiful! You do such a wonderful job! How exciting to have your own chickens and get fresh eggs! I think that would be wonderful! My husband used to work on a farm years ago and he's always wanted his own farm. I would like it also, to live off our own land. one day...
Have a great day!

blessings,
Jill

Whosyergurl said...

Got my holiday cleaning behind me...now will carefully touch up every day. That is what is wrong with me, I let it go and then have to work my butt off to catch up! Put my tree up the night before Dino & Bradley arrived. Am still purging the pumpkins. Including the pie.
xo, Cheryl