Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Lied, This Is My Last One

I know I said I only had one more Cowl to do.  I really had two.  This one was an order.   It was for one of the ladies that my daughter works with in the salon.  I finished it this morning and delivered it to her today.
I am loving the black!  I need to make more in this color.  But AFTER the holidays!  I have crocheted so much I am doing it in my sleep!  I lost track of how many I have made.  I did  have one more to to do.  I have a dear friend who has a sister that was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer.  She has gone through her chemo, and had her last radiation today!  She got to bang a gong when she was done, and they all whoop it up!   She lives in New Jersey, on a farm.  I wanted to make her something in pink.  So I finished this today too. 
I couldn't find the shade of pink I wanted, so I used a pale pink, and a darker pink, sort of a raspberry.  I used two strands of yarn together to make this soft and cozy cowl for Layne.   I doubt that the Bloomie is going to be her thing for padding around the barn, but I think they go together so nicely, so I pinned a Cream Bloomie to it too.   This may be my favorite one so far.
I am shipping this out tomorrow, Fed Ex.  Good thing it isn't breakable!!  Did you all see the Fed Ex guy throw the computer monitor over the 6 foot fence to the concrete driveway?  Wow!  I bet he will be looking for a new job soon. 
Our Silly Elf Billy, has been getting into all sorts of mischief lately!  He was sledding the other morning when we woke up.   Then, I guess he was sore because the next day we found him sitting in a hot tub full of bubbles!!

Noah has been getting such a kick out of Billy and his antics!   Tomorrow morning when he comes, he will find that Billy got himself into a bit of tight jam again!  He seems to have gotten inside the cookie dome, and is now suffering from a  bit of a sugar coma!
He has cookies stuck on his face and didn't leave much for us but crumbs.   That Billy!!!   Our Granddaughters, Hannah and Claire have an Elf too.  He has been up to a few shenanigans as well.  It is fun to see where these guys will wind up each morning! 
I have had eggs over flowing in my fridge.  My girls don't seem to mind the winter weather and shorter days much.  They more often than not, lay an egg every day.  That makes 5 eggs a day, and over 2 1/2 dozen eggs a week!  I am sharing them with my kids and neighbors, and still have plenty.  Tonight I made a bacon and Swiss Quiche, with spinach and tomato. 
Quiche is so easy.  I never use a recipe.  I just use what  I like.  Mix up some eggs.  I think I broke 6.  Add some milk or 1/2 & 1/2, about 1 to 1 1/4 cup to approx.  6 eggs.   Season with salt and pepper.  I also use fresh grated nutmeg.  I love nutmeg in egg dishes.  My cheese of choice is Swiss.  I had bacon, so I cooked a pound of it in the oven til crisp.  Used 3 tomatoes.  Reserving one to arrange on the top for pretty.  And I threw about a half of a bag of baby spinach in there.   Prick bottom of pie crust with fork several times.
I mix the eggs, seasonings and milk.  Then add tomatoes, bacon, and spinach and cheese.  Pour into dish.  Then I layered more cheese on top, and thinly sliced tomatoes in pattern to finish.  If I had had fresh mushrooms, I would have used some.  My favorite quiche is in the spring with fresh asparagus, mushroom, scallion and swiss!   Experiment with your food.  Food is fun! 
Bake at 350 for about an hour and 15 minutes.  Or until hot and bubbly, and knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Let stand for about 10 minute before slicing into it. 
Bon Appetit!
XO  Kris

19 comments:

Genn said...

You make the BEST quickes!
Now I am so hungry for some. Thanks a lot. ;)
Love the cowls. The black is gorgeous, and that is neat to do the pink for Ally's sis. Hope she loves it.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It's always fun to visit your blog, Kris, and find out what you've been doing. Your crochet crowls are beautiful! What a nice and stylish accessory to waer for the cold weather.

My daughter-in-law is doing the "Elf on the Shelf" with my grandsons this year...so much fun! Your photo of the Elf with a cookie sugar high cracked me up! lol!

Your quiche looks sooooo good!

Wishing you and your family a very merry, blessing filled Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Those cowls are beautiful. I absolutely adore the pink one you made. I'm sure she is going to love it just as much :)

Looks like your Elf is a rowdy little guy. The hot tub full of bubbles was so cute. I can't wait till my little man is old enough to enjoy The Elf on The Shelf :)

Happy Holidays to you & yours!

Petunia Pill said...

Which part of your post to comment on first!...as a breast cancer survivor, my heart goes out to anyone who is fighting the beast. What a beautiful cowl and thoughtful gift. I came up with a pattern for the breast cancer ribbon made out of popcorn stitches...and have made a few muffler/scarves for some ladies I know who have been diagnosed in the last year. I really like your cowl because it's soft and drapes so beautifully. My scarf is stiffer...but I love the ribbon pattern on it! The elf and his antics...what a hoot! I wanna come to your house and play too! And the quiche! Well, I read that with great interest. I've never in my life made a quiche. Mainly because I didn't know how. Guess what? I'm going to try...thanks to your lovely instructions here. I love that you have chickens that keep you supplied with their luscious gifts! Nothing like fresh eggs. I've made three Santa faces thus far. Am using them as decor for some Irish Cream that I've made to give away in beautiful red bottles. Santa will look great hanging on the front! Hugs to you, Kris. Annette

Holly said...

That pink cowl is to die for. So pretty! I love that you're doing the elf thing for Noah, cutest thing ever! I'll take some eggs. Do you deliver?

Heather - The Good Life said...

The food you display always looks so pretty. I can relate with poor little elf's sugar coma, I've got a bit of that going on myself. :-) Enjoy your week. Heather

Dawn said...

The elf cracks me up. My hubbys hair looked just like the efs this morning when he woke up. LOL
Did you know you and freeze your eggs if you can't keep up with using them? Beautiful scarfs, I just adore them.
Merry Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

Were you up to late making that cowl. You are cracking me up this morning. I too, will be done with all the sugar goodies soon enough. Now, relax and enjoy the holidays.

Bethany said...

I need to obtain an elf just to amuse myself...and my inner child.
I love your cowls!! And I'm partial to pink so that's my fave! But who knows--you go through all that treatment, it takes it's toll on your body--maybe she'll want to feel super pretty and feminine toddling around with a bloomie on her scarf :) It would make me feel that little bit better :)

Sunny Simple Life said...

Waaa I don't want it to get warm. Okay enough crying. I just love the elf thing. I so have to do that. My kids would love that tradition.

Sunny Simple Life said...

Kris I have been trying to add your button and the picture doesn't appear. Maybe I forgot how to do it. Remind me what to do again. Is it adding a HTML?

deebriese said...

Wow that looks delish! Another one of your recipies I must try. I know what you mean about the cowls. I made so many and they went out the door so fast I did not even take pictures of them. I think I have carpal tunnel LOL. Yours are just gorgeous!

Teresa Kasner said...

You are one busy chickadee! I'm heading out to go swimming soon.. we just got a call from our daughter and little granddaughters in Ohio.. hubby is talking to the girls right now. Sure do miss them being here in real life. wah.
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
*M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Nicolle said...

Is that your wedding dress in the first picture??! I love it, and I'm curious! :)

You have the sweetest, most beautiful heart. I love the pink cowl that you made for your friend's sister. How beautiful and special. I will say a prayer for her health and recovery.

The quiche looks fabulous! :)

Lauri said...

I can't believe how many scarves you've crocheted. My goodness, your hands must be aching by now. But I love the cowls...I wouldn't be able to choose; each one is beautiful.

You quiche looks delicious. Maybe I'll make one too.

Becky said...

Your quiche is beautiful!
Almost too beautiful to eat.Notice I said almost.
I love your blog.I also follow your daughters.
Have a Merry Christmas and a safe & Happy New Year.Blessings,Becky

Debbiedoos said...

What pretty cowls you make Kris. Your quiche looks divine. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Pammy Sue said...

Your quiche looks so delicious. I must print this and remember to give it a try. Wish I had a few of your fresh eggs!

~Niki~ said...

Looks like homemade dough in this one, how do you make that? or is this store bought? looks yummy!