Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day BBQ

Yesterday was such a relaxing day here!  We woke up to clear skies and warm weather.  I took my coffee and sat out back on the patio with my bobble afghan and worked on it for a couple of hours.  I am almost done!   Once it got nice and hot, I switched my lounging area from the patio to the pool.  I floated and snoozed, enjoying myself immensely.  In the afternoon the kids arrived, and we had a little swimming and bbq.   But first, Geeps and his helpers set a trap for the gopher that is making a tunneled mess of our yard!! 
Usually, these traps are a certain ending to the problem.  But not this time.  We have a wiley gopher on our hands.  I think I even heard him laughing at me this morning when I walked past on my way to feed the chickens!  We will get you gopher!!!!  The girls were eager to jump in the pool.
They didn't seem to mind at all, that the pool is still kind of on the cool side.
We had a very simple bbq or grilled hot dogs, beans, watermelon, caprese, green salad and chips.  Easy peasy, and delicious!  We grilled a few salmon burgers too, in case someone didn't want a dog.
That is Jake's plate. We went chili dog with one, and traditional with the other. 
In the morning, I made some homemade mayonnaise and garlic aioli.
I thought that I had made mayonnaise once before, many years ago.  But I don't think so, I have only read about it, and seen it done on cooking shows.  It is very easy to make, but you do have to whisk the heck out of it.  For about 12 non stop minutes.  The recipe is very simple. 
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup canola oil, divided
NOTE:  I had every kind of wine vinegar BUT white wine.  I used red wine vinegar.   Also, I would have preferred to use dry mustard, but I was out of that.  And I will experiment with using slightly different things to attain a lighter color.  Using farm fresh eggs, the yolk is very bright orange in color.  So I am not sure how one gets mayonnaise white!!!???
Combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and salt in medium bowl.  Whisk until well blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Then while whisking constantly, pour about 1/4 cup of the oil, a few drops at a time, into mixture and whisk for a bout 4 to 5 minutes.  Then, add rest of oil in a slow and steady stream (having a helper is useful here, thank you Geeps!) and whisk constantly, until mayonnaise is thick.  About 8 minutes or so.  Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if desired.   Chill well before using.  Keeps for 2 days.
To make the aioli, I minced three cloves of garlic, and then using the flat end of my knife, I mashed the the garlic into a paste, using a tiny bit more salt to this mixture.  Mix well into mayonnaise and chill.
It looks like mustard.  So I will make it again and use the white wine vinegar and see how much lighter I can get it.  This was wonderful!!!!  Such a great flavor.  We spread it on the buns of our hot dogs, everyone loved it!
After we ate, we sat around and watched the kids play and visited.
 Claire and Hannah herded the chickens into their yard.
They climbed trees.
At dusk, the girls helped me in the garden.  I love this photo of Hannah with the rays of light shining through the water.  I just wish I could have cropped the motorhome out of it.
The garden is growing like gangbusters!!!  I am about a week away from a big zucchini and yellow squash harvest.
Such good helpers!
I hope you enjoyed a nice long weekend with family and friends.  And also spent some time giving thanks to those who have served, and are now serving, this great country of ours. 
Let the summer begin!!!
XO  Kris

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such inviting photos, looks like a great time was enjoyed by all. Yummy looking foodm, and pool, altho I'm a warm-water-swimmer only. When we had our pools, I wouldn't get in unless the water temp was at least 86.

Sunny Simple Life said...

Looks a lot like our day but no gophers. I always have some trash can or trailer in the background of our shots too. Your garden is looking great!

Unknown said...

Another fabulous weekend with the whole gang. I cracked up, as I had every vinegar wine I need but the RED this weekend. Sure wish you lived next door. But, then you might walk out and find me in that lovely pool. Hey, don't think for a second that I didn't notice all the kids KEENs. They are a favorite here for me in the garden. But adore Hannah's striped ones. Why don't they make little girls shoes in adult sizes? Hope that gopher is gone real soon. Have a great week. I'll try to post soon. But, another day going up to the 90s here. So, I'm might just stay inside. Toodles.

corners of my life said...

The ever popular hot dog. It doesn't get any better than that.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a great day to me. I love your yard...so much to do...garden, chickens pool.
Have a great day!

Patty Marker said...

You reminded me of Caddyshack with that darn gopher! Your garden looks fantastic. Wasn't the weather just perfect?

Holly said...

Can't beleive how things are growing there. Your garden looks great. Good luck with that gopher.

deebriese said...

Wow looks like everyone had fun..I love your wicker set!

Teresa Kasner said...

You and your family sure know how to have fun. It helps that you have that awesome POOL.. dang, that would be nice. If all our kids move away, I might have to move somewhere that you can swim all year.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jill said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Your pool looks so inviting! :-)

Our weekend was so jam packed busy I am doing blog posts in several parts, just posted one today. Lots to share in 3 days.

Hope you are having a great week!

Blessings
,jill

NanaNor's said...

Hi, Your weekend and day yesterday sounds about perfect. Our best friends just left today and we are taking bil to the airport tonight, so we will be able to kick back and get back onto our regular schedule. It was so fun! I love your set-up Kris with the pool, orchard and veg.garden with room for the kids to swim and play.
Have a great evening.
Hugs, Noreen

Genn said...

You got some good pictures of the day. I wish I had known you were floating all day I would have joined you, although then it probably wouldn't have been a most relaxing time for you. ;)

Hillcresthome Prims said...

I love the pool, we are opening our pool this weekend.
The kiddo's looked like they had a ball and the food looked YUMMO!!
Hugs,
Tricia

pembrokeshire lass said...

What a wonderful family day! My husband built a pool at our other house and we go there to enjoy it sometimes when it's warmed up enough. Glad that you managed a bit of a rest in the pool before they all descended! JOan

Dawn said...

Kris, your garden looks just great. You are so lucky to be harvesting things. Can't wait for mine. I have never tried a Salmon burger. I normally eat Turkey burgers. Do you buy them pre-packaged, or make your won??? I have to know:)

Gracie Saylor said...

Kris, I am sitting here wearing a turtleneck shirt, a sweater, slacks and socks and I have a flannel sheet thrown over my lap underneath the computer(: Your post is warming me up! No wonder your garden is flourishing! Thanks for sharing your wonderful sunny day! <3

priscilla said...

Can't wait to see that bobble finished ! You need a couple Jack Russell terriers to take care of your gopher. My dogs go nuts chasing off the chipmunks and squirrels ! Looks like your Memorial day was a great one !

The Tuscan Home said...

Oh my goodness...that food looks DELISH, even at 7:25 in the morning! lol! ;)

Cute photos, you and your family know how to do parties right! =)

Thanks for sharing! xo ~Liz

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You have such a nice backyard, Kris, and I can see how your grandkids love to spend time there between swimming in the pool, picking vegetables and eggs from the chickens and gopher hunting..lol! You BBQ food looks de-lish! I've made frsh mayo a few times ..it is so rich and good!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Your photography allows one to almost feel a part of it all. The food you served sure does look delicious! I like the homemade mayo recipe.

Heather - The Good Life said...

Hi Kris, let the summer begin indeed! :-) Your day sounds perfect and the pool looks so refreshing and pretty. We are putting a hold on the house hunt until we get some more activity on our house. It's been very slow. We may not end up moving if we can't get a decent price. People in our area seem to be giving away the farm. :-) Enjoy the rest of your week. H.

Debbie said...

Your day sounds like it was perfect! Salmon burgers? That sounds good...don't think I have ever had them. I miss those days of the grands "helping" me water...Great pics!

Robyn said...

Looks like you had a really nice day with the family...What a blessing..I absolutely love your pool..

my4lilgirls said...

What a perfect day, family is just the best & you guys look so happy.
Lol Karen x
ps I loveeeeeee your pool!

DaCraftyLady said...

Looks like such a fun weekend. :) We went up to BB and enjoyed the cabin. Those hot dogs looked yummy... ~ Debb

Nicolle said...

You have the best pool and yard, you always serve the best food, and I just love your entire family!

:)