Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day Weekend In Big Bear

Hi there!  Remember me?  I have been unable to use my computer for a week or so, because we had to order a new power cord.  I know you are probably sick and tired of seeing my posts about Big Bear.   So if you are, just skip this post over and come and see me another time.  I will be catching up with all of you in the next few days.  I have hundreds of emails to wade through too. 
We joined our oldest daughter and her family up in the mountains this weekend at my Mom's cabin home in Big Bear.  We have been up there quite a lot this summer, and this was the first time that the weather was just perfect.  Warm enough to be on the boat without a sweatshirt during the day, and cool enough to enjoy the nearly 30 degree difference in the temperature that we were experiencing at home.
We spend most of our days out on the water.  Fishing, floating, snacking, napping, sunning, swimming, playing, etc.
I captured this photo of my granddaughter Hannah and just loved it.  She wasn't aware I was snapping away as she was enjoying her cookie and looking out over the water.  I sat there wondering, what is she thinking?  Is she taking in all of the beauty around her?  Is she thinking, wow, I love this place!!!?? 
Or was she just thinking, this is one good Snickerdoodle?  I am not sure.  But I thought she looked beautiful gazing out at the lake, so unaware that anyone was watching her. 
Miss Claire was also enjoying her cookie, along with alternating bites of M & M's. 
We had such a good time out on the lake with the kids.  We met up with their friends, and the kids jumped from boat to boat, and in and out of the water.  They watched Geeps fish, ready and waiting with the net.
Our son Drew and his girlfriend Diana came up for the day too.  We stayed out on the lake until the sun began to slip away behind the tall pines, and cast long shadows on the water.
Greg and I went to dinner to celebrate our 33rd Anniversary, and Drew and Diana went back down the hill.
After our dinner out, we went back to the cabin and watched Tombstone and Greg popped us some popcorn.  Our family has always loved this movie.  Gennifer can recite the entire thing, word for word.  In fact, we all do it, all the way through the movie.  Which would be obnoxious for anyone who hasn't seen it.  But to us, we get a big kick out of ourselves.  Especially Gennifer.   She uses the voice overs and all!!! 
The next day Gennifer and Jake took the girls to the Alpine Sled, and Greg and I went boating alone in the morning.   They loved the Alpine Sled, and can't wait to go back.
Here are the Hass' coming in from a walk.  I was standing on the deck to take their picture.  Behind them, you can see the Peek a Boo view of the lake that Mom has from the cabin.  They went home Sunday after we had lunch at Blanca & Pierre's.  So we loaded up and went back out on the boat for the afternoon.
Our friends Ron and Sue were still up there, and on Sunday we side tied with them down by the dam. 
They had friends visiting from the desert.  Susan and Craig.  They are a hoot!!! 
We got all tied up together, and Greg may have mentioned that Sue is a better First Mate than I am.  She throws over the buoys, stows the fishing gear, handles the ropes, and anything else a First Mate should be doing.  Greg says I was much better at it when I was young(er).   Hmm, what do you suppose he means?
Usually when we are on the boat together, I am busy.  Very busy!  I do a lot of this.
And this....
And this.....
I was also busy making this.
Which I wore, and it just so happened to match  my new bathing suit too.
I also made another lace scarf.
The colors in this one are so pretty.  Turquoise, browns, copper, black.  Reminds me of Santa Fe New Mexico! 
Greg fished a LOT!  He just couldn't get enough.  He caught lots of trout this weekend.  He was so proud that he actually caught more than his buddy Ron.
I think he was gloating a little bit here.  He held his fish up to the heavens, and then even kissed it!! 
I loved this photo above, with the kayak directly in the beam of light cast from the waning sun on the lake.
EWWWW!!!   I think Greg may have caught more this time because "someone" was found asleep on the job!
Ron and Sue and their friends had invited us back to their place for a steak dinner, so we cancelled our reservations at Sweet Basil and went home to freshen up and clean the fish.  One of the fish was choc full of roe.  I felt bad.
They put the trout on the bbq and we had them for appetizers before our delicious steak dinners. 
We left Ron and Sue's and turned in fairly early so the guys could all meet at sunup on the dock for their last day of fishing.  I had a delightful morning alone at the cabin, drinking my coffee out on the deck and reading.  It was bliss.  I got ready for the boat, and as soon as Greg returned, we headed back out.  We spent the entire day, from about 11:00 to 5:30 on the lake.  It was heavenly.  The weather was perfect.  Most of the weekenders had gone home, and we practically had the lake to ourselves.  We trolled, and floated out in the middle of the lake, searching for the "Big One" that never quite made it to the hook.
About mid day, we noticed smoke up over the Holcolm Valley.  Before long, we heard sirens, and then watched in amazement as the fire helicopter maneuvered over to the dam, and dropped the big basket for water, into the lake with perfect precision, and then ever so slowly, it would ascend, and then disappear over the mountain with the water.  This occurred about 6 times, and each time, we watched it repeat the drill, and then off it went to drop water on the fire in the valley.  I wanted to go closer to the dam to get better pictures, but Greg was sure that "The Big One" was about to jump on his hook any second and refused to move.
We floated and trolled our way to the East end of the lake to see if we could watch some of the parasailing.  But first a pit stop at the S.S. Relief!
 There are two of these floating bathrooms on the lake. 
As soon as we got to the East end of the lake, we saw a pair of parasailers going up, up and away.


I want to do that some day!   Maybe.
Before the kids left, I wanted one of them to take a picture of Greg and I.  My all time favorite photo of us was on the boat, taken at Bass Lake.  Well, we didn't get the photo.   But I took a self portrait.
It's good of Greg, awful of me.  He said, "That's what we look like Bunny!"
 I have a turkey neck!  But we look happy, because we were.  Are.   And so, I love it.
And I really loved this one of Greg.
We stayed out on the lake.  Fishing.  Relaxing.  Floating.  Napping.  Laughing.  Listening to music.  Talking.  Just enjoying a perfect day.  I always have fun up in Big Bear.  But this particular weekend I felt light hearted.  Free of worry.  Content.  Our son, was supposed to be leaving that weekend.  Far, from home.  I was sick about it.  He has changed his mind, and will be waiting a bit.  There are no words to describe the relief I felt.  And so, the weekend was pure joy.  Every moment.  No worries.  At least for a few lovely days.....the world was perfect.
XO  Kris

27 comments:

Casey said...

Those headbands are amazing!! Hope you might start selling some soon!! I just love love it and would definitly buy one :)

Cheryl said...

I agree amazing headbands!!!! Looks like you had the perfect time...with no worries!! (hugs) That picture of you and your hubby is so sweet, and the happy shows!!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Aw there's those sexy legs of yours. You had such a nice time. You both love the water and how wonderful to spend so much time doing what you love.

Holly said...

You deserved this perfect weekend! Great pics and I love that cute little headband you made. Sure do miss you!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Kris, I enjoy reading about your happy family's happy times on the lake! Great pix!

Dawn said...

Can't believe how long your hair is getting. I have never heard of a floating potty. I have seen a floating hot dog stand. Looks like you had a perfect holiday:)

priscilla said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip ! :) Great photos , looks like you had a wonderful time ! Cute headband!

Unknown said...

Another amazing weekend at the lake. I actually found something new too. Floating bathrooms. Come on. What do they not have up there? Glad you had such nice weather and a happy celebration. I need to make some of those headbands for the trail. Great idea. Maybe today, we finally have rain, so I'm taking a day off the bike. Besides, my seat needs a rest if you know what I mean.

Have a sweet weekend,
Kate

Sarah said...

Not sick of your Big Bear posts, makes me miss our family's cottage on the lake. We traded that for 43 acres in the peaceful woods which is lovely, but there's something about heading to the lake. Looks like a great time again. Let me know when you want to sell one of those headbands, or if you make a warmer one you want to sell...it gets cold up here! I also loved the picture of Claire with her goodies...reminds me of how I am so strict with how my boys eat when we're at home, but when we go to the cabin I pack munchies along with some more munchies. Enjoy your weekend!

Bethany said...

You guys are adorable! Your long hair is looking cute too!

Pam said...

That looks like such a wonderful place! I am glad you all had so much fun. I am also happy your son is not moving yet... you must be thrilled!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You took a wonderful photo of you and Greg! Your combined happiness shines bright in it, Kris.

Your days at Big Bear Lake certainly look wnderfully idyllic. I'd also love the cooler temperatures!

I know you are relieved about your son's decision to wait awhile to go east.

It's funny as the owman we are buying the Colorado house from is moving to Nashville, TN. Her kids went away to college and now that she has an empty nest she wants a change. I guess life is like that!

Love your knitting projects!

Heather - The Good Life said...

I never tire of reading about Bear Lake and your adventures. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I could have done without the fish eggs photo; I was eating my lunch :-), but sounds like your hubby had great success on the lake. Trout is so good; just have to watch for the bones. :-) Have a nice weekend. Heather

Nicolle said...

I love your last few lines here, how you described such a perfect, beautiful weekend. I love when things all fall into place, because we know life can be hard at times, and so that makes us savor the amazing times even more. I LOVE your pictures of Big Bear. I will never, ever get tired of seeing them. You are so blessed to have that cabin to go to, and extra blessed with your sweet family.
xo

Teresa Kasner said...

Kris, I could never ever tire of your posts and photos of your time at the lake. What a wonderful story you told of the nice time you had. I know that the best part of all of it was the fact that your son decided not to leave now.. I can only imagine the peace that his decision has given you. I only wish that my daughter had made the same decision. ::sigh:: I just cracked up at Greg kissing the fish.. did you kiss him after that? LOL! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Mereknits said...

Your pictures are amazing, please don't stop posting them, so beautiful and serene. And so glad you were really able to relax and enjoy yourself worry free from your sons departure. There is plenty of time now for him to think it over and have a plan. You and Greg are so adorable, lovely picture of BOTH of you.
Hugs,
Meredith

Genn said...

Great pics!!!!

And sad about the fish filled with roe, but technically, doesn't that mean dad out caught Ron by a couple hundred? ;)

Pammy Sue said...

Tired of Big Bear pictures?? NEVER! What a wonderful day. Congrats on 33 years of a match made in heaven!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, I never get tired of your lake photos-reminds me so much of Ca.; kind of makes me miss that time in our lives. Sounds like you had a great weekend and girl you don't have a turkey neck but I sure have the turkey arms(I guess wings). May this year in your marriage be sweeter than ever before.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Noreen

Debbie said...

Oh how I LOVE the Big Bear stories and pictures. I can see it all still in my minds eye, but I love really seeing it in your pictures. Sounds and looks like a wonderful time. How relieved you must be that your son is still here, I couldn't be happier for you...Enjoy your week-end!

Susanne Tyree said...

Love that you wanted to share your fun time with all of us. I don't get tired of your talking about your family adventures. Now if you were out there being Bonnie & Clyde then I would have to say, "HOLD UP PARTNER, I GOTTA PASS ON THIS ONE!" LOL, love the pic of your little ones, I think Hannah was thinking how much she loved her grandma & grandpa and these were memories she was goon have for a lifetime.
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Lauri said...

A perfect escape! Isn't it wonderful that Big Bear is so close?

~Niki~ said...

what great pics! you are beautiful!

Gracie Saylor said...

Kris, I missed you and am so glad to get a bit caught up on your news...such beautiful pictures of you, your family and the lake! Your stitching projects all seem to be turning out wonderfully, too. Thanks for posting and for visiting me. Your posts bring me many smiles:)
Gracie xxx

Tania said...

Hello Kris,

This is such a lovely post. I am in awe of what you get up to at Big Bear...you have captured some really lovely photos and the views are stunning!

Those scarves have me intrigued. I saw some at a trash and treasure I went to today, very pretty. I didn't buy any as I am probably quite capable of making my own. The headband is just gorgeous, I love red and white!

Glad you had a great relaxing time, sounds like it was just what was needed...

xx

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I think the two of you are just darlin! After seeing the cute headband I thought the next pic was your crocheted swim suit. Darn, then you told me it was a scarf. lol! I never tire of Big Lake posts. It's such a beautiful place. Just wish me and my hubby were there with you. Happy anniversary and wishing you many more. Here I am playing catch up on all that I have missed.
Hugs,
Jann

DaCraftyLady said...

what a fun time in the mts great photos we are going up Friday....love the lake. :)~~Debb