Saturday, December 15, 2012

Baby It's Cold Outside!

It has finally begun to feel like Christmas here in So. California.  We have had several days of rain, and the temps are in the 50's during the day. 
Last night, we had a holiday party to go to, and it was so nice to dress warm, and even wear a coat!!  Erika took this of Greg and I in front of the tree before we left.
We had a really nice time, but had to say goodbye to some good friends who are moving to North Dakota.  We hope to get to go see them this summer.  They will be living right on a lake, and say it is beautiful there.
We got up this morning, (pretty late) to a visit from our oldest daughter, and two grandgirls.  Geeps took our youngest granddaughter and went to get donuts for everyone.  I thought they looked so adorable sitting on the sofa, with the coffee table tilted up for them to have their donuts and a little cartoon.
Noah's Elf Billy was sitting on the counter this morning roasting mini marshmallows over a holiday candle!!!
Greg and I got dressed and headed out to finish up our Christmas shopping.  It was an Uggs kind of day here today.
We had a good time, and even stopped in for some lunch at King's Fish House before hitting the last store.  Then we drove through Starbucks on the way home for a hot cup of coffee.  One of the things we were after today was the movie Home Alone.  We finally found it at Target for 5 dollars.
 I have been wrapping gifts as I have purchased them, so I only have a couple of things to wrap and I am done.
I love being home in the evening, with all of the lights lit.  From the garlands that softly light the ledges....
To the bathrooms with a little snowman light....
Sugary goodies on display in the kitchen...
 And my favorite room to sit and enjoy the lights, the living room, where the Christmas tree sits in the front window.
I love the little Christmas church that sits on the coffee table.  My Mom gave that to me several years ago.  It is clayworks, by Heather Goldminc.
I have several of these little houses.  They are so pretty.
I like this picture below, because you can see the lights from the house through the window, and also the reflection of the lights on the glass top of the coffee table.
Yes, Christmas is in the air around here at our house.  The grand children are all so excited.   There is lots of giggling and present counting, and cookie eating.
This morning, Gennifer, Erika, their Dad and I, sat in the family room talking about the horrific tragedy in Connecticut yesterday.  I know that this has hit everyone hard.  Such a senseless act, with no explanation.  Mommies and Daddies hugged their children tight, and wept.  We talked, and cried, and in the background, we could hear our three little ones, laughing and playing, and we are so thankful.  Thankful for their health, for their innocence.  Thankful that they know nothing of this terrible tragedy.  Praying for all of those families in Newtown.  Every child, every parent, teacher, officer and family member that had a loved one in that building.  Most of all, for the parents whose children did not come home that day. 
There is no answer to the why this had to happen.  I have absolutely no idea what to do, or how to help, or even if anyone can.  But certainly, above all else, this unspeakable thing that happened yesterday is weighing heavy on our hearts.  It is hard to be joyous when something like this has happened.  But it also makes you look at your life and your gifts....your family, a little bit differently.  Family is everything.
XO  Kris

24 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

You look mawvelous darling. We missed you today. Okay after the holidays chickie!!! But shopping with the hubby is always nice. We are braving some crowds tomorrow to but I will be so happy to be with my honey I won't mind.

Gracie Saylor said...

As I acknowledge and process the losses around us, I join others in mourning. Yet the very real pain of lives lost fuels my appreciation for life. In whatever ways I can, I am determined to learn how to better combat the terrors of hate with Love. I appreciate the joys and sorrows you have shared in this post, Kris, and I join my prayers with yours. xx from Gracie

Tania said...

That is a beautiful photo of you two :)

Your house is looking very Christmassy and pretty. I am afraid I haven't got many decorations up this year...I just kept it simple.

These tragedies leave me feeling numb. So much has happened in the last few weeks, that I cant wait for 2012 to be over...Family is everything and how devastating for those parents, my heart breaks for them.

x

corners of my life said...

You look so cute in your party dress.
Belle of the ball . . .

Holly said...

I just love your cozy home. What great Christmas memories you are making for the little ones. You look beautiful, I love your hair long!

priscilla said...

Great photo Kris ! The grandkids are cute too :) ... So on the ball with your wrapping ! I still need to buy most of it and wrap it all .. Your home looks great all prettied up for Christmas ! Hope you have a great week !

Debbiedoos said...

Family sure is everything Kris. You looked beautiful and so does your home.

Dawn said...

You and Greg look so cute all gussied up. Love your tree, it is a beauty. Looks like is should be in a store front somewhere. We are getting rain here to, wish it would change over to snow. Tired of the sunless dreary days with no snow.

Unknown said...

Your home looks so cozy and Christmas y...

My heart breaks over the tragedy in Conn. I can't imagine what everyone must be going through. So sad, so painful.

The Tuscan Home said...

I am also deeply saddened over the tragedy in Connecticut. My prayers and thoughts go out to each and every family.

You and hubby look so beautiful and handsome. Kris, your home looks AMAZING. I would love to come over and chat, look at all your pretties, and have a Starbucks with you! Your tree is sooooooo pretty, everything is so festive. :)

Many blessings to you and your family, may you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! XO ~Liz

Teresa Kasner said...

Hello, Dear Kris... you both are so gorgeous! Your home looks cozy and bright and warm. I sure wish I was close enough for a real time visit. I'm trying to get things shipshape for a luncheon here on Tuesday - my 2 sisters and best friend are coming over for a Christmas luncheon - I'm making home made clam chowder and they're bringing salad, bread and dessert. Can't wait. Wish you could join us.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
*M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

Susanne Tyree said...

You are a lovely couple with a beautiful family. You are so right, family is everything (wouldn't that make a sweet little cross stitch sampler). I love Christmas lights. They always make a home so warm and cozy. Be thankful for the blessings. We never know when it can all change in a heartbeat. I know it did here 2 Christmases ago.
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Lauri said...

Your home looks beautiful and you and Greg make a very attractive couple. It's fun to have an occasion to dress up, isn't it?

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Kris,
love the pic of you and Geeps. You both clean up nice! lol! Your living room tree reminds me so much of my family room tree. Hubby and I have had a lazy day. Went to church, came home and went right over and plugged in the tree. daytime or not, I love looking at the lights. After we made fajaitas, we sat down and ended up watching the entire season 1 of Downtown Abbey. Talk about couch potatoes. We all feel so helpless as to what we can do. The power of prayer is amazing. All of us praying will help to ease their herrific pain. Have a very Merry Christmas. It has snowed all day for two days. Sure is looking like a wonderful white Christmas.
Hugs,
Jann

Robyn said...

Your house looks beautiful. I loved the photo of the kids sitting eating the donuts. I miss when my niece and nephews were that little and we'd do the same thing..Oh and I loved your outfit for the party. It looked awesome on you!.. And your tree is wonderful!
Robyn

Linda said...

Hey Kris...
You and YOUR Greg look great...
Hope you had a wonderful evening out...
The grandkids are adorable...so lucky!!!
Will you get out to the cottage during the holidays???
We still have our water one...so...fingers crossed...

ENjoy your day..
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Deb~in~Denver said...

What a great picture of you and Greg, such a nice looking couple! Love the pictures of your cozy home, SO inviting. The kids are darling, so lucky to have each other. We, along with the whole nation, are so heartbroken. There's no making sense of any of it. Blessings to you. xoxo

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was a fabulus photo of you and your husband!
Your grand children looked adorable eating theri donuts together.
Your homes looks so beautiful and Christmasy, Kris! I missed decorating this year --next year ill be different!

The tragedy in CT was heartbreaking. I cried all weeekend.

Genn said...

I really love that picture of you and Dad dressed up for his holiday party! You both look so nice.

It was nice to stop by Saturday morning and get doughnuts with you all. Family is everything. You are so right.

xoxo

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, Oh how I love visiting with you! Your home is so warm and inviting and you & your hubby are so cute(you look so young!). I hope you have a delightful day today. Hug those grands tight my friend.
xxxooooNoreen

Jill said...

Kris,

The picture of you and your husband is just lovely! Your home looks so festive and beautiful! I hope you have a lovely week. Hard to believe Christmas is just a few days away!

Blessings,
Jill

Gloria Baker said...

lovely post all look really pretty!! xo

Megan said...

Hi Kris, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind words. Your daughter Genn is a doll and I think it is so fun that you share the love of blogging with her! Your home looks just lovely this Christmastime...how wonderful to have your kids and grandkids to share it all with. Merry Christmas to you guys!

Pam said...

My heart is so sad for everyone that has been affected by the killings in Newton. It's just so horrific!

You look beautiful in the photo with your husband.