Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas Sewing & Dinner With The Boys

Hello! I am popping in for a quick post tonight. I'm afraid I haven't had much of a chance to read blogs these past few days.  I am busy in my sewing room, trying to complete all of my projects!  Today I finished the aprons for my granddaughters.  My daughter Gennifer is getting them a cooking set.  They have become very interested in cooking with their Mom lately.  Gennifer is a terrific cook too!  I also got them a children's cookbook by Rachael Ray.
For Claire's, I pieced a ruffle for the bottom, and a piece of jumbo ric rac to finish it.  I used 5" squares and prepared them with Steam A Seam.  I made a mock up of each of their names on card stock to determine the correct size of letters to use.  I then freehanded the letters, cut them out, and machine appliqued them with a small zig zag stitch.
For Hannah's apron, I made a pocket by piecing blocks, then I machine quilted it with loops and swirls.  I used my bias stripe binding to finish it, and then stitched it to the apron, sewing a stitch down the middle to create two separate pockets.
I really enjoyed making these for the girls!  I hope that they will like them!
One night last week, I got together with my high school girlfriends.  We were celebrating several birthdays, and also Christmas.  We had such a nice dinner, and then dessert back at one of their houses.  I made each of the girls one of the lined travel bags, and tucked in one of my dishcloths, and a jar of the strawberry jam I made at the end of the summer.
I love these bags, and they are so pretty as well as useful.
I have been sewing like crazy.  My sewing room is a mess!  I am still working on some gifts that are for some of my friends who read this blog.  So I can't post photos.  This coming Saturday, I am going to brunch at one of their lovely homes, and I am so looking forward to that.
Dusty is never far from wherever it is that I am working.  Such a good boy!
Last night I had a very special dinner date with 4 of my favorite men!  My brothers!  I got the idea several months ago, to ask my brothers all to dinner.  Just us.  No wives or husbands!  Our First Annual Siblings Christmas Dinner!  I  made the reservation at a lovely restaurant in Fullerton that my Mom and I go to a lot.  They have these Prime Rib Sandwiches on a pretzel roll that are to die for.   I talked to all of the boys to see if they would like to go.  I got 4 thumbs up, so I picked a date, and sent out a save the date text, and then waited for the big day to arrive.  I thought and thought about what I could give each of them.  Something little, just a momento of the occasion.  But I couldn't think of a thing.  Then one day it came to me.  I would write each one of them a Christmas letter.  I made the cards myself, and left them blank inside.  I composed the letters in my mind, many times.  I knew what I wanted to say, so sitting down to write them was very quick.  The words flowed, and so did my emotions as the date drew near.  I was so excited for this dinner, I was giddy.  I don't know why exactly.  I mean, we see one another pretty frequently.  We are all close.  Always have been.  But  I wanted to have them to myself.  To reminisce about days gone by, our childhood, and the things we did as a family.  The way one can only do with those who share those same memories.  I left for my date to meet them, and they were all there before me.  We were seated at a table by the window, with a view of North Orange County and all of the dazzling lights.  As well as being nestled right next to the fire place, that was aglow on a chilly December night.  The restaurant was decorated beautifully, and there were Christmas gatherings all around  us.  The conversation flowed very naturally.  We talked about so many different things.  I had to laugh when they each borrowed my readers to read the menu.  We also did a fair bit of comparing notes on who took what pills, and what hurts and where, just to compare.  The evening went far too fast.  The meal was excellent.  And they wouldn't let me pay for mine.  That was not my intention!   Before we left, I had an employee take our photo in the foyer by the Christmas tree.  It is with my cell phone, and I didn't upload it to my computer, I just took a photo of the photo from my phone.  So the quality is not very good. 
I got in my car to drive home, and smiled the whole way.  It was a fun night.  One I looked forward to for months.  And by far and away the most special thing I have done this holiday season.  
My brother Mark, he is the one on the far left with the snow white beard, has carried on the tradition of giving me a mouse every Christmas, as our Dad always had done.  It is so special to me, that he does this.  
This year, it was Mouse Slippers!  I love them!!!  So comfy!  I wore them ALL day long!!!  
Tomorrow I will be leaving for a couple of days to ride up to the central coast area with my Mom.  I am also looking very forward to this quick trip.  Just having the drive time in the car, to chat away about anything and everything will be lovely.  
This weekend is chock full with festivities as well.  Saturday is the girlfriends brunch.  Sunday is our enchilada making party.  Life is very full right now.  And I am feeling ever so blessed!
Happy Holidays friends!!
XO  Kris

28 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas. xx

Holly said...

This is quite possibly my favorite post of 2014 from you! Where to start? The aprons, to die for and what a keepsake, the girls will love them. I love the idea of a siblings night out. Almost made me tear up. My sister and I were just talking about this the other day, how we are the only ones who share the same memories. She lives in Florida and we don't get to see one another very often but we discussed just the two of us meeting in our home town in Indiana just to catch up on each others lives, talk about memories and see familiar places. Hope you and your beautiful family have the Merriest Christmas ever. (Didn't send out cards this year but you know I love you!)

Dawn said...

I've been amazed on IG with how many projects you are whipping up these days. The aprons are adorable and I know the girls will love them. What a lovely time with your bros. Sounds like a great new tradition.

Deb~in~Denver said...

Beautiful. The entire post made me smile and reading about your sibling dinner made me tear up. What a beautiful, treasured memory. Enjoy your trip with your mom, I know you'll make wonderful memories. Merry Christmas! xo

Pammy Sue said...

First of all, those aprons are SO CUTE!! I hope your granddaughters love them and realize how special they are. Your dinner with your brothers was a great idea! Y'all should make that a tradition now. I loved seeing the picture with all of you together. Love the slippers! CUTE!

Debbie said...

Where to start? First off the aprons are just darling and I know the girls will love them. I also love that they are getting soo into cooking just like their mama and their grandma. And then, the sibling dinner. As you know we do a similar thing but we do include spouses. There is just something about it. Maybe it's our age and the fact that these people go ALL THE WAY back, and share memories with you that only a sibling can. Whatever, I agree with you...it is a very special time. And I love that your brother has carried on the mouse giving that your daddy used to do. What a sweet and thoughtful thing for him to do. We are busy over here too. Such a blessed time of the year. ENJOY it all Kris!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Wonderful get together with your brothers, the very best thing for the holidays or any time really. My husband has four brothers and a sister and while he is close to all his brothers his sister has always resented their friendship and not made an effort to be close to them. It makes them all sad so your relationship to your brothers makes me doubly happy.

Teresa Kasner said...

Hi Kris, I'm always so happy to see your blog pop up to the top of my list! Those aprons are fantabulous! I know they will be family heirlooms for the girls. Your dinner with your brothers is a great idea! When my sibs (and spouses) get together sometimes we don't get to talk about our memories, if you know what I mean. Now.. you didn't tell us what your brothers thought of your letters to them! I bet they loved it!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
*M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

Tania said...

Lovely post Kris.

A post full of love for your family. The aprons turned out well and I am sure the girls will love them! Looks like you had a great time with your brothers, what a lovely get together and such a nice thing to arrange.

Love the slippers :)

In case I don't get back here before Christmas, I want to wish you all a Blessed Christmas with lots of love and joy and may the New Year be filled with the same xx

Gloria Baker said...

I hope you and yours have a wonderful and blessings Christmas Kris!
All look beautifull!
xo

Gracie Saylor said...

Kris, I am so happy for you and this happy busy time in your life. I really enjoyed reading your post and learning what has been filling you days. Your love of those around you and your creative energy inspire me. Wishing joy to you and yours. Love, Gracie xx

Betsy said...

This was a wonderfully happy post Kris! So full of love and happy things to look forward to. Those aprons will be so loved by your granddaughters. And the bags for your friends are beautiful. My goodness I wish I was 1/4 the seamstress you are. Your siblings dinner sounds wonderful. I very rarely see mine since we live so far apart. You are very blessed to have family so close. Enjoy your trip with your Mom and your busy, busy weekend.
Blessings,
Betsy

corners of my life said...

The drawstring bags are adorable, Your friends are very lucky.

The colors on the aprons are so fun, Hope to see photos of the girls wearing them.

Pam said...

Love those aprons!!!

I love how close you are to your family! I think the sibling Christmas meal tradition is a great idea! What a fun night together with your special guys. The mouse slippers are adorable.

Beca said...

The aprons are darling! They will absolutely love them! You are so thoughtful. The gifts for your friends are sweet too. Such a lovely presentation. I'm a big fan of home made gifts. They are the best kind to receive! Glad you had a nice time with your brothers. Such a good idea. I'm sure they enjoyed it as much as you. Merry Christmas!
xx Beca

Between Me and You said...

You are one amazing Lady! Big Hugs to you, Kris.xxx

Mereknits said...

You have been so busy my friend. I love the aprons the girls are going to be thrilled. And those gift bags with the washcloth and jam are perfect gifts. I think you brother dinner is a wonderful idea Kris. I would give anything to have dinner with my brother who passed away 23 years ago. I hope we would have a lot to say, and the time with him would be a gift. Just as the time is with your brothers and now with your Mom on this trip.
Have fun,
Meredith

Jill said...

Love those aprons! You did an awesome job! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Jill

Unknown said...

Such a busy time, right now and you are going to beat the band! Glad you got to spend some time with your brothers..what a great idea. Traditions like this mean so much.

Have a wonderful Christmas...I know your grand daughter will....those aprons are adorable.

Jeanna said...

Great post Kris! I love everything about it, especially the part about your wonderful evening with your brothers. I saw the picture on IG.

Merry Christmas and may the blessings continue in 2015!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

It made me feel good to read about your siblings dinner. My brother has passed and my two sisters live STATES away so when we all are together it is rare (though we had a reunion this past July). Thank you for sharing those special moments and pictures ... I felt like I was one of the group! Merry Christmas to you and your entire family. Linda

tree said...

Wow, so much loveliness to soak up! Those aprons are awesome. I love the colors of everything.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Kris, the girls are going to love their aprons! Really, really cute. I didn't even have time to finish the borders on my ig quilt. I had to stop and sew a strip quilt for one of my grands. I found sock monkey minky and she is a sock monkey fanatic. I think she is going to love it! Fun idea to have such a special evening with your brothers. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
hugs,
Jann

Linda said...

Hi Kris!
Thanks for stopping by....
Love those aprons, the girls will love them....
How lucky you are to have 4 brothers to spend time with....
I had 2.... One died, and the other doesn't seem interested! Go figure!
Who wouldn't want to hang around with me! Hahaha!
We got to Florida in February....for 5 weeks this year!
Can hardly wait!
Have the Merriest Christmas Kris....
My love to your whole family♥️
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Home Meadows said...

Hi Kris, Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family. Wishing you a new year filled with life's blessings. Heather

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog!

Apple Blossom Dreams said...

The aprons are the cutest thing ever!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

LOVE what you gave your HS friends Kris! Clever girl! XOX