Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Attention Coronians and garden progress

There is a new store in town that is well worth a visit! It is called Buy Rite. It is where the old Linens N Things used to be, over on Magnolia by Costco. It is a store that has overstock and floor model furniture and things from places like Sam's and Costco. Prices are fantastic! For Father's Day I bought two new jumbo sized and deluxe zero gravity chairs for about half price! I also bought this pretty picture that goes perfectly in my kitchen. It is the kind of place that gets new things daily, and is always changing. So if you see something you like, you better get it because it won't be there when you go back for it. Give it a look-see, I know you won't be disappointed.
Now, moving on to my garden progress, or digress, depending on how you look at it. We have a very wiley gopher! He has managed to eat from the roots up, FOUR of my zucchini plants, and has impaired the progress of my cucumbers and several other things. Greg has set the traps, over and over, and each time, he gets the bait, and trips the trap, but escapes!!!! I am about ready to throw in the hoe!!! But I will keep trying to catch the little varmint. The other day, I was out watering, and I noticed fresh mounds of dirt being pushed up, literally at my feet. I stood there, waiting for him to reveal his ugly zucchini eating self to me, and he did....just long enough to poke his vicious little head up and give me the finger!!! I am going to get you yet, you nasty gopher!!!!!!!
Corn is not quite as high as an elephant's eye, but getting there. Many of the stalks have several ears of corn on them.

This is my ever expanding patch of watermelons. NONE of the pumpkins have made it. I planted two different types, in two different locations and at different times. But all have germinated, then turned brown and withered away? A mystery???
Pretty little corn tassles! Can't wait to have a corn boil!!
Katie, I got your lovely comment! If I could, I would sent you a box of Burger Basket breakfast burritos and Miguel's too!!!!

4 comments:

Maryrose said...

Love the garden pics. Delores brought us green beans, eggplant, zucchini and cucumbers from her garden and we feasted. I will definitely by putting in a garden last year. As for the pesky gopher, Kevin has one too (maybe its the same one) He is out there every morning and ours gives him the finger too. (I think it is the same one) Maybe Maui can help to out, Gabby was our best hunter, I miss her. Good luck with the gopher and the garden looks great.

Katie said...

I love the new picture for your kitchen, and I love the sunflower one that is hanging on the wall behind it!!!
Did you know that Aunt Diane (your Mom ;)) tried to play a trick on me and told me that ALL OF THE MIGUELS JR'S would be CLOSED for remodeling the entire time I'm in CA!!!! I had called Sean and told him it was a sign and that we were going to have to postpone the wedding!! ;) I about cried, the thought of no Miguel's JR was horrifying! She got me good!!!

Kelly said...

Genny had told be about Buy Rite. I have yet to check it out, but can't wait 'til I do!

I can't believe how tall your corn is already! Wow! Good gardening skills!

Kristi said...

I'm going to have to check out this new store. I'm looking for small three drawer chests/dressers to use as my bedside tables in the master. Did you see anything that would work? I'm even up for giving them a coat of paint. I'm sick of not having anything but don't want to spend tons of money.

Dang gopher, what a pain and so frustrating. You've worked so hard on that garden. I hope you get him!