Friday, April 23, 2010

T.G.I.F.

I am SO glad it is Friday!!!!  Not because we have any great plans or anything this weekend.  It has just been a trying week, and I welcome a couple of days with no plans or obligations. 
I plan to do a little more planting in the garden.  My raised box where I planted the seeds has begun to sprout.  The rain this week has been good.  Do you know what this is?
Look a little closer.
Nope, not dinner for tonight!!!  It is my kitchen scrap bucket for the compost bin.  This will be turned into fertile soil in no time at all.  I throw the full bucket into the compost bin, and add some fresh grass clippings, maybe some leaves too if I have any.   When I start my first batch of soil, I put in about 2 feet of grass clippings and leaves, add about a half bag of composted steer manure (can be found right now at Walmart for 75 cents a bag) keep it moist with a spray of water every few days or so, and turn the pile about once a week.  This will break down and draw all of the important bugs needed to break down the dry yard waste and kitchen scraps, turning it into fertile soil in just a few weeks.  My bin stacks, and you simply take off the top two stacks, leaving the fertile soil to use in your garden, and then you start again. I put everything in my scrap pile except meats and fats.  Produce scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, fruit peels, potato peels, etc.  I also add my deadheaded roses, and all other clippings to the bin. 
My kids had a real good chuckle when I attended a composting seminar a few summers ago at the library.  But I don't mind.  That's another nice thing about being 50.  You don't really care about what other people think of you anymore. 
I have to give a big thank you to Mr. Bailey!  My dear friend Kathy's Dad, and one of the best gardeners I have ever known.  He taught me the importance of having a compost bin if you want to garden.  So THANK YOU Mr. Bailey!!!
That's the compost bin behind the green wagon.  In just a few weeks, both of those boxes should be full of veggies.  IF I can keep the ground squirrels and gophers out!
There is a fairly new antique store in town that I love!  She has new stuff all the time.  I have found some cute vintage things in there.  The other day I found this apron.  I love aprons, and especially the short ones.  And even more so, the ones with pockets.  I love this fabric so much.  It is just vibrant and fun.  I did reinforce the seams where the pockets were all sewn, and also had to do some repair on the waist band sash.  But I love this.  It might be my gardening apron.

Look how fun this fabric is.
Love the red ric rac trim too.
Guess how much I paid for it?????
Happy Friday folks.  Usually we go out to dinner on Friday night. But Mr. Sweet Life left the house this morning feeling kind of punk, so I will have to wait and see.  But whether we out or order in, I am just glad it is FRIDAY!!

17 comments:

Simply Domestic said...

Love your gardens! I would love to have a compost pile. I also love aprons. Love the fabric. Too cute!!

Genn said...

I remember when you went to that compost class at the library. Sounds like a lot of work to make your garden grow.

Super cute apron, and super cute pictre of you wearing your apron. Good hair day.

Thanks for the salad bowl! Funny running into you today.

Happy Friday. Wish I got to go to dinner. Or work. Or anywhere today...

everyday katie said...

It's still to early for us to plant. But I'm itching for fresh garden veggies.

I envy your cute apron.

deb said...

Love this post....have you ever got any worms to put in your compost, I saw on Regis and Kelly this morning they showed how to farm earth worms,,,,,I wish I had a yard big like yours!!!!
LOVE the apron...you will have to take me to that shop!

Jessica said...

Oooooooooooh, I L-O-V-E that apron!!!!!!! Doesn't it just make your day to discover such a fun find???!! :)

Tawny said...

That is so cool that you make your own dirt! I heard about it on a radio show and thought, if I could I totally would! When I do, I'm calling you, 50 or not :)
Cute apron! I agree with Genn, cute pic in the mirror!!!

Debbie said...

WOW...I am really impressed at your efforts for a productive, tasty garden. I LOVE it....And the apron? Adorable. I love aprons too. I am with you though, I am glad it is the week-end. Have a good one... = )

Diane said...

Wow! You are such a busy lady. The apron is darling. So cute to take a pic of yourself in the mirror. The compost pile is so impressive. I have got to show this to the hubby. He has been wanting to get one going.

Katie said...

What an adorable apron!!!!

Pam said...

Awesome garden boxes. I love, love, love the apron - too cute.

Unknown said...

LOVE your wagon for the garden. My senior mom is on a quest to find one like that and I think we've tracked it to Kmart. Has it held up well for you? Thanks for the help :)

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I just popped over from Debbie at The Way We Are and so glad I did-I can see we have much in common from being married forever to golf fanatics, grandmothers, quilting, gardening, dogs etc etc...so I'm going to follow you. Looking forward to reading more.
Noreen

Anonymous said...

I also like the apron & that's a good pic but that compost thing I almost hurled.

Maryrose said...

I'mmm back, it is always busy after I have been gone, even for a weekend.

Garden is looking great, did you relocate it from last year. It looks like the side yard??? I don't think I will get one in this year, but maybe a tomato or two in an existing planter will work.

Hope all is well, I got your message tonight and will try to give you a jingle tomorrow.

Happy farmering and you will be doing it in style with that adorable apron.

Amy said...

Ahh... you are such a cute mom! I love the apron and I was just watching Tori and Dean doing that composting thing. Have to tell you...I made the mexican pizzas tonight. They were so GOOD!!! Jimmy said we have to have those again :)I agree. Thanks for the recipe.

Lauri said...

I've thought many times of starting a compost pile. I really need to do that some time (probably when I get serious about planing a garden)

Kristi said...

Cute apron!! Love it, Debbie made me a little short apron for Thanksgiving that I love!! Every time I wear it I feel cute and all homemakerish. Fun! Have fun with your garden this year, I'm dreaming of tomatoes...hint, hint...