Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Crochet Flowers

I know how to crochet a little bit.  Single and double crochet, that is.  I am learning how to knit.  Washcloths are still my specialty!  I love handwork.  I have always wanted to learn to do more with crochet, but I can't seem to read a pattern to save my soul.  I discovered some beautiful blogs that feature crochet in colors of yarn I have never seen before.  The color combos stopped me in my tracks!  The choices today for yarns, and colors.....well, let's just say that crochet today is not your Grandmother's Granny Square Afghan in orange and yellow anymore!!!! 
Go see my friend at this beautiful blog.  The Garden Bell 
And when you are done drooling over her beautiful handiwork,  check out her gorgeous gardens.  Then, go over to this blog and check out her amazing crochet work.  
By Elizabeth Cat
The colors that both of these ladies use just made me want to get my needle out and learn something new.  I have been wanting to learn how to make crochet flowers in particular.  So, I got on the web, and started checking out youtube tutorials.  I sat down with a some pink yarn I had laying around and watched a tute on roses, over and over again, until I made one!
 I am sure there are a few missed stitches here and there, but I did it!  And if I had some of those great colors to use, I would have been even happier with it.  I think I will be going to the yarn shop this weekend.
 Last night I worked in my garden a bit.
 My tomatoes sure didn't do well this year.  Funny how some things are going like gangbusters, and others are not.  I am wishing I had planted watermelon again.  But this year I did cantaloupe instead. They are not ripe, but there are lots of them.  And several nice looking cukes.  Next year I will be doubling my garden boxes and planting more variety.  My poor neighbors can't take too much more squash!  Erika gave The Fireman a bunch of squash yesterday to cook up at the firehouse.  He said they liked them.  So the next batch is going there again.
My herbs are doing well.  This is how I store them in the house after clipping them in the garden.  I keep them in the kitchen in water to use while cooking.
 When cilantro goes to seed, it has the prettiest lacy green foliage, with delicate purple flowers.  I love to let some go to seed.
 I use the fresh basil in just about everything!  Love to use mint too.  Sometimes just to garnish.  Rosemary is great for roasting potatoes.   I could use a whole garden box just for basil!
This morning Mr. G had his follow up appointment with his neurologist to go over the MRI he had last week.  I can't decide if it is good news or bad news.  At this point, I almost think having been told the pain is from a problem with his back, that they could FIX would be better news.  The back did show a fair amount of arthritis and a bulging disc.  However, not damaging enough to be causing the pain he is experiencing now.  So it does appear that the shot in Mexico was the defining thing to have caused this.  Unfortunately, the only thing to do is manage the pain with meds, and hope that time will heal him.  He is going to also begin acupuncture as well.   One concern is taking a narcotic long term.  So that will have to be watched closely.  He was feeling well enough last night to hang up my new shades for the patio.  Drew's buddy Brian stopped by and gave him a hand.
 We are getting ready for our 4th of July celebrations coming up this weekend.  We have the boat parade and BBQ at Mom's place on Saturday.  And then on Sunday we will be staying here at the house for a swim day with all the kids and grands, and we will be doing Grilled Shrimp Tacos,  and Hot Dogs of course for the kiddos.  Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream with Fresh Berries for dessert.  And we will put our chairs on the sport court to watch the fireworks at night.  What are all of you doing to celebrate?

9 comments:

Stef said...

Hi Kris,

Wow! Your crop is certainly abundant!

And your crocheted flower turned out great! Learning to crochet is on my list of things I'd like to do someday. Looks so beautfiul and therapeutic.

I'm glad your dog made it through the rattler bite. Ours is a lab, too, and he was certainly sick, but we were able to get him to the vet immediately; he was recovering well by the next day.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great holiday weekend!

Kelly said...

before i forget to comment on gigi hill... I love gigi hill! I went to a part a few years ao and bought an overnight bag. it's huge and i love it! and use it ALL the time!

i want your veggies! maybe they can make me skinny! lol

were stayin home swimming for the 4th too! should be fun!

Unknown said...

T.G.B. here to give you a big shout-out for a great flower. Way too go. Keep going, you are off to a great start. I can't believe how well most of your garden is doing. That's the biggest Zuch, I ever seen homegrown. We are way behind with all the rain. But, the corn, that fabulous midwest corn.... They say knee high by the 4th of July...well, we are waist high and dripping in butter here.

Keep going and show us more,

Kate - The Garden Bell

Thanks for the linkie.

Katie said...

I love the American past time of Crocheting, I was lucky to have learned a few years back. Your pink Flower is great!
Your Garden is just so Awesome, I wish I had the space for one!

Have a Great 4th of July~we will be celebrating with other soldiers and their families at Freedom Fest on American Lake, here on the Base!

Debbie said...

Your flower is GREAT! Diane crochets ALOT. She is very good. I've always wanted to learn, but never have, though I love crocheted things. Your 4th plans sound soo good. I have no idea what we might be on. Still don't know if the move is pulling off for sure, but it looks like it might, so we will probably be knee deep in boxes. Can't wait to be done with this. I would LOVE to have you over when I get settled in some. I am impressed with your herbs. I love the way they taste when they are fresh, but I have never grown them. I really hope your hubby gets better soon. What an ordeal this has all turned out to be for him. ENJOY your 4th of July!! HUGS

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, Great job on the crocheted flower; when I was a young mom I crocheted and loved it but now I just quilt. Sorry to hear that there were no definitive answers on your hubby's back.
On the 4th our development has its own parade where the kids decorate bikes, wagons etc. and it is a lot of fun. During the evening our town puts on a concert-this year is Big Bands and then we have Fireworks over the lake.
Have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Hope your shingles are better.
Hugs, Noreen

Genn said...

Pretty flower! And great garden crop! Looks good.

I'm looking forward to those grilled shrimp tacos.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

The garden is producing nicely!!! Mine hasn't had that kind of production yet! What a wonderful pool area and the decorations are coming along great! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Charlee said...

I read Genn's blog and jumped over to yours you can make knit flowers as well. I don't crochet at all! Free patterns are available through most of the major yarn companies and that includes crochet along with teaching videos. I mostly knit baby blankets for all my friends!