Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Three More Sleeps

Every day I tell my grandson Noah how many more days, or "sleeps" until Christmas.  Three more sleeps, for the kids, and 72 hours for us elves to finish preparing for the big day!  I worked some elf magic in the kitchen yesterday in preparation for baking day. 
First I want to tell you about something I made that many of you probably know about.  I, however, did not.  My friend Deb was talking about this yummy treat.  It is called Rocky Road, or Rocky Road Fudge.  She told me what all she does, and then I googled it to find a few variations.  I used:
1 bag of chocolate chips ( I used the milk chocolate for this )
1 bag of mini marshmallows
salted peanuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 T butter
Melt your chocolate in a saucepan with the butter, and condensed milk.  Stirring whole time, on low heat.  Once melted, add your marshmallows and peanuts, stirring to distribute.  Pour into a greased 9 x 13 dish, and let cool in fridge for several hours before slicing.

Oh my is this ever yummy!!!  Thank you Deb!!!  I may never make real fudge again!  This is just as good, if not better, and way easier!! 
Do you see my Gold Canyon candle burning in the background?  My daughter Erika is selling these, and I have been buying them anyway from other people, so now I will get them from her. The Christmas Pine is heavenly!  You would swear that a fresh cut pine tree was just brought into the house!!!
Yesterday Noah and I made all the sugar cookie dough for our baking day.  He was a very good taster helper!
I used my favorite snowman measuring cups.
After getting all the dough done, I made the royal icing for the decorating of the cookies.  Whipping the merinque.
Noah selected the colors for the icing.  He came up with some good choices.  And he also came up with some very colorful fingers!!
I also have had my bread machine going for the past few days.  I did my favorite, English Muffin bread the other day, and tried a new one yesterday.  Nebraska Oat Bread.  Wow!
This was very moist and dense.   Yummy!  Can you read the recipe?
I did not add the raisins or craisins to this.  I discovered I had two recipes for this.  The other one is called Nebraska Oat Bread.  I did the one where you warm the milk and add your yeast to the warm milk.  Then dry ingredients to the pot first, adding wet last.  Baked on white cycle.
Noah found a box of Skittles in my sewing room-staging for Christmas room, and we decided to fill the train cars with them. 

Not to worry Mama, I took most away so he wouldn't eat them all!!
Earlier, Christopher next door asked to come bring him a Christmas present.


For any of you that may be new to my blog, Christopher lives next door.  He has Down Syndrome.  He is 18 years old.  A gentle soul.  We love him.  Since I babysit my grandson while Mommy works, Noah gets to see Chris often. They have a special bond.  They had a good time playing with this UNO game. 
Christopher's Dad told me once, " We are so fortunate because even though all of our children will grow up and begin their own lives, we will always have a "child" in Chris."  I loved that. 
I must skeedattle.  My son in law Jake is coming soon with my little dumplin' granddaughters.  I will have the three cuties making Christmas cookies!  Pictures will follow.
Hope you are staying dry if you live in my neck of the woods where it has rained relentlessly for 6days!  Be safe!!! 

14 comments:

Shann said...

Looks like a productive day! I love Noah's PJ's.

Rocky Road is my fav ice cream flavor and chocolate delicacy!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a wonderful post this is, Kris!

The fudge looks so yummy -- I know I'd eat too much of it if I made it! :)

Your grandson is precious ... the photo of him with his train set reminds me of my grandson who is in love with his Thomas train set we gave him for his recent birthday. He is only two but already knows candy is "delicious"!
:)

The friendship of you and your grandson with Chris is so endearing. I have a special needs nephew and I know how much companionship means to them.

Merry Christmas and a happy healthy 2011 to you and your familY!

- said...

What a sweet post Kris with a true message for us all....love, kindness, compassion, sharing, understanding!

Have a very Merry Christmas and the rocky road looks delicious!

Lauri said...

thanks for sharing the fudge recipe. I'm definitely going to make it. It looks delish.

Pammy Sue said...

When I saw your sugar cookie picture with all of your icing and set-up, I thought, oh no, she's going to make me look so bad! Ha-ha. That wouldn't take much, would it? Can't wait to see them when you get them iced.

I would love to have your "favorite english muffin" bread recipe. Can you email it to me or send me the link if you've already posted it somewhere? Many thanks. I love making bread!

I copied the Rocky Road Fudge recipe. I'll have to try it.

NanaNor's said...

Christmas greetings Kris, I've made the Rockey Road Fudge before and love it. Your photos were great-I so enjoyed seeing Noah and Chris together. May the pure joy of childhood fill your home this Christmas-grands always make it so much better.
Hugs & Merry Christmas,
Noreen

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!! LOVE the pics you got of Noah...geeeeez your camera takes amazingly good photos.

He has so much fun w/you we are so lucky!

Kristi said...

Very cute post and boy have you been busy!! You totally out did me on the frosting colors. We had 3, red, green, and white! Have fun decorating with the kiddos! I know they will love it!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH YUMMO!!!!!!! I don't do choc and peanut together so I'd use almonds probably and then I'd be in heaven. I love chocolate and marshmallows!

Noah is so cute - and how special he and Chris are buddies!

Have fun with those dumplins!! Don't squish them too much. Merry Christmas my friend!

Katie said...

That fudge looks so yummy, but I'm actually going to try and refrain from making it so I don't inhale the entire batch!!
What a Sweet Soul Chris is, I bet Noah just loves that bond with him as much as Chris does!!

Stacey said...

Ooooohhhhh.. That Rocky Road stuff looks amazing.. I always write your recipes down, and put them in my Bride and Groom cookbook you gave me for my wedding.. Here's another one for my book :) Keep them coming!!

Amy said...

I think that is so neat that Chris comes to visit you. I too have a special place in my heart for people like him because of my brother. Looks like you and Noah have been busy!

Genn said...

Wow looks like you've been busy in the kitchen!! That bread looks SO god. The girls had SO much fun making cookies! The gingerbread man is so cute. And I ate one.. or two... and told Jake NO ONE makes cookies as good as my Mom!! They are SO SO SO yummy.

That is so cute that Christ brought Noah something. He is a sweet kid. I have always loved what Mike said about him too.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Kris, please oh please make me some sugar cookies!!! lol They are my all time favorite cookie and I HATE making them. Mine look awful.
Love all the pictures of the kids baking with you and decorating.
Merry Christmas