Friday, August 29, 2014

Thriftin'

The other day I ran into my favorite haunt.  Although I didn't find much, I did find this fabulous set of red clay Mexican Pottery nesting pans.
I adore the scalloped edges on the top, as well as the folksy painting on the outsides.  They were in perfect condition, and I simply had to have them.  I also have a set of stacking bowls like this that we love and use all the time.  However, one has recently broken.  This set was marked 11.00, but was 40% off.  What a steal!  It just so happened that I had two over ripe bananas in the fridge just waiting to be made into Banana Nut Bread.  And look how perfect these two smaller pans of the set worked for this!
My recipe comes from a neighbor we had when I was growing up. She always slit the bread down the center right out of the oven, and poured melted butter down over the top.  This bread is the best I have ever had!!  I also spotted a couple of boxes of  battery operated candles.  They were marked 8.00 a box. Each box had two candles in them.  AND they were 50% off!  My Mom has a set of these pretty candles in her entryway, and they turn off and on automatically.  So they are always lit at dark and she doesn't ever come into a dark house.  I love this idea!  I was eager to get them home and put batteries in them to see if they work. They do!  And they also have the timer setting as well.  They come on every night at 5, burn for 4 hours, then go off for 20 hours.  I love seeing them pop on every night, just as it is getting dark in the house.
They flicker just like a real candle, and are made out of real wax too.  I love these!  I have three on a little table in the family room, and one of them I put in the guest bathroom.  I was in Joann's the other day, and for the same size candle, it was 20.00 for one.  I got 4 for 8.00!
 Then over at The Goodwill, I found a few more things.  I have recently found out how to do a crochet pattern that creates a basket weave look.   I rescued this gorgeous deep red throw for a mere 5.00!!!  It is done in this basket weave pattern that I love so much.  I took it home and washed it, then hung on the line to dry.  It is so soft and cozy feeling!
It won't go here, I just threw it over a chair in the living room where it is lit well.  Here is a closer look at the pattern.
I spotted these lime green plates and immediately thought of my daughter Erika.  Her kitchen accent color is lime green.  I got her a lime green Le Creuset Tea Kettle a couple years ago, and she has cute accent things in this color in her kitchen.   There wasn't a chip on them!  I paid .79 c a piece.
I crocheted this dishcloth to match.
For 2 dollars, I couldn't pass up this Roo.
That's it on the thrifty finds this week.  I will end with a photo of dinner last night.  My Mom and I go to a little deli in Yorba Linda that has the best cold orzo salad!  I eat it every time I go there!  It is so good! z
Then, the other day, I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and knew I had to make it immediately.
Here is what you will need.. I also put green onions in the salad, but they were not out of fridge yet.
Cook your orzo according to package.  Drain and cool.  In another bowl, zest the two large lemons, and then add their juice  Add 1 cup olive oil.  Whisk together, adding some pepper to taste.  No salt, as this is added when cooking the pasta.    My neighbor had gifted me with a beautiful basket of yellow and red grape tomatoes.  Those were  halved and added to the bowl, along with a handful of sweet peppers,  and a  handful of Italian parsley, a handful of basil, about 6 thinly sliced green onions, and a few roasted red peppers. One bag of shelled and thawed edamame goes in.  When orzo has cooled, add it to pot and stir all together.  If I had some feta cheese, I would have added that. And marinated artichokes would be good, as well some Kalamata olives.  Whatever you like really.  This is such a pretty dish.  And  SO good!!
 I breaded some chicken tenders and cooked those in a pan, after dredging in a seasoned flour.  Delicious!  
I can hardly wait to have my lunch of leftovers today!  
We are going to the lake for a couple of days.  Hope all of you have a safe and fun Labor Day Weekend.  See you next week.
Tootle Loo!!
XO  Kris     

29 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

If I lived closer, I'd just let you be my "personal thrift shopper"! I never find anything near that nice or useful.

Best,
Bonnie

Patty Marker said...

I am going to come over for cooking lessons one day. Your healthy stuff always makes me hungry!

Apple Blossom Dreams said...

Oh wow, what a great post...where do I begin? OK - how about a recipe for the "butter melted down the middle banana bread". Was the recipe from your Swedish neighbor? I am going to try your other recipe with Quinoa since I am trying to use up a big bag or it.

What a thoughtful gift: those lime plates and then to add the personal touch of the matching dishcloth.

What a cozy feel those candles create and on a timer too!

I always wonder about the time and energy put into crocheted items from the thrift store. How did they get there? You know they all must have a good story behind them...and now the story continues. I hope someone is willing to pay $5 for some of my creations one day instead of adding to the landfill. ;-)

Thank you for sharing another lovely post Kris and have a good weekend!

Betsy said...

I love everything about this post Kris. Those baking pans are great and the candles....I LOVE those candles. I never find things this good when I thrift. The blanket picture, plates, I like them all. The prices were fantastic. The bread looks almost like my Mom's recipe. I would so love to be able to have lunch with her one more time and I know she would like your salad. Have fun at the lake. It's been almost a month since I stayed at our lake and I think it will be over a month before we go again. We have made a few day trips but it's just too difficult with Miss Piper. If she was here all the time we would have a set up there for her, crib, etc.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pammy Sue said...

You got lots of nice things on your thrift trip again! That stoneware is gorgeous, and your banana bread looks great baked in them. Your daughter will be happy-happy with her plates and momma-made potholder. I've never had orzo before, but your salad looks really good. I didn't even realize it was a holiday weekend! Sheesh!

Amy at love made my home said...

You had some great finds Kris. I really like the Mexican dishes. I have seen those candles and wondered if they worked well and looked realistic, so it is good to know that they do if I ever do get any! xx

Home Meadows said...

Great finds! Your salad sounds very good. Enjoy your trip to the lake. Heather

Teresa Kasner said...

Kris, you are so fun! I love all your finds and the Mexican pottery is a treasure! I need to make some banana bread.. I used to love it but then I had some
"banana" muffins from the store and they tasted so fake it put me off of banana bread - but I know homemade will solve that. You need to come and visit Oregon! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gloria Baker said...

Lovely mexican dishes dear Kris!
Love these and love the green discloth!

Susanne Tyree said...

You are always finding such neat and cheap things. Love the rooster pic and the candles. I get a gift book that has something similar in it and the tallest candle is around $80, now if you wanted a set of 3 or 4 it would cost you an arm and a leg. I say that you had a good day shopping at the thrift stores. have a great weekend.
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Debbie said...

You always manage to find such good things! The battery run candles were really a find! I've been wanting some of those too, but they seemed soo expensive I've passed on them. What a bargain! Have a wonderful time in Big Bear this week-end. I've heard there is a quilt show up there. ENJOY!!

priscilla said...

Great finds Kris ! Love those candles and that rooster ! Have a great weekend !

podso said...

I use a recipe similar to your orzo one. Love it. I'm catching up on your posts. You have a lovely sewing machine. You find the best stuff thrifting! Love those green plates! Have a good week!

Holly said...

You always find the best stuff. I would love to find some flameless candles. I'll need to start hunting!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kris, Girl you are so gifted in finding such neat treasure when you thrift. I love all your items! Since we've moved and moved our daughter, I am just not able(yet)to go to garage sales or thrift stores. I gave away so much and had to move so much, I look at things differently now.
Your recipe looks good-I've already mentally tweaked it so I could eat it-changed to Quinoa and then used coconut flour for the breaded chicken. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday my friend!
Hugs, Noreen

Pam said...

You always find the best stuff at the thrift markets! I have those timer candles all over my house. They turn on at 5:00 and make our home so cozy.

The orzo salad and tenders sound like the perfect meal.

Jeanna said...

You found some great items at amazing prices. I love the candles and the fact that they are on a timer. Would love to find some of those...and of course, at $8 ;)

The orzo recipe sounds delish too.

Hope you enjoyed your couple of days at the lake!

Jill said...

Love all your thrift finds and the idea of those candles that you can put on timers! Those green plates are adorable and the dishrag is too pretty to use! LOL Recipe looks delicious!!! How was your time at the lake?? I put a new post on today...finally!
Have a great afternoon!

Blessings,
Jill

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You always find the best things in the thrift store, Kris! I finally found a thrift store near me that has a good supply of things. I bought a cute birdhouse and some scarves.

I love the new sewing machine that you wrote about in your last post, Kris--good for you for treating your self--you deserve it!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Yum I want that salad very soon. I love salads this time of year.

Linda said...

You thrifty gal you!
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Sharon said...

Some time ago you did a post on making a rag strip baby quilt. Is there a quick way for me to find this older post on your blog? I'm going to be a first time grandma!

Nicolle said...

I haven't been by here in ages. I'm sorry! I've missed coming by here, I just haven't sat down long enough to do so. I LOVE the Mexican pottery dishes that you thrifted. I want to steal them. I know your address! :)))

xo

Grammy Staffy said...

What treasures you find while thrifting. Good for you. I have some of the battery candles and mine say timer on the bottom but I can't get them to work. What am I doing wrong. I like the idea of them turning off and on automatically.
Have a great week. Hugs

Gracie Saylor said...

Excellent shopping, Kris! I love seeing your finds and how you are using them! The Friday before Labor Day I face planted myself in a flower bed on my way back to the car after swimming for an hour with Teresa. I chipped a front tooth, and broke my glasses and cut and bruised this and that, but I am all healed now. The dentist mended my tooth and I have new glasses ordered, but Labor Day was definitely spent resting. Hope you and yours had a blessed time :-) xx

Poppy said...

Beautiful finds, Kris! Love the Roo, and your banana bread with that buttery addition at the end, must be pure bliss!

xo
Poppy

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We would like to share your blog's recipes on myTaste Australia (www.everyrecipe.com.au).
Adding your blog will make your content available to our users and send you additional traffic. To have a better visibility and compare the number of visits of your blog with other popular Australian sites, install the myTaste widget.

You can add your blog from the main page in the Top Blogs section (Food blogger? Join!).


Hope to see you soon on myTaste,
myTaste Australia

deb said...

you have all the luck! Im gonna try that recipe it looks yummy!

Patty Antle said...

I enjoyed seeing your finds - they are all fantastic! Your recipe looks wonderful!!!