Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Feeling Groovy

Finally!  What a relief!  I am feeling groovy.  I haven't done too much in the last week, as I have made it a point to take it easy and thoroughly get over this nasty bug I have had.  My Mom and I went to see Brooklyn.  Ahhhh, we both loved it!  It was a lovely film.  I just adore the styles that they wore.  Really a good movie!!    On Sunday, Greg and I went to see Revenant.  SO good.  Not a feel good movie. But a good, good movie.  Again, the period was done so well.   Leo, you have an academy award coming, I am certain!
Yesterday the grand kids were all off for Martin Luther King Day.  The girls came over a few hours and we had a great baseball game going in the front yard!
They set their game up with no help from me at all.  I worked in the flower beds and watched and listened with a smile!  They used trees as their bases, and took turns pitching to each other.  Soon, Christopher next door came over to play with them.  Oh Clairey, I do believe you struck Christopher out!!
Here is a great action shot!
And after much debate on the play, Gramma declared the runner was out!
"Home run Hannah" coming in for the score!
What fun they had!  And what fun for me to watch them play.  It sure brought back some memories from when my brothers and I, along with the neighborhood kids, would turn the end of our culdesac into a baseball field.  We would play for hours!!!
Look how brown and drab everything looks!  Sure does look like winter!
The other morning when I got up, it was really foggy.  I thought it looked so pretty.

On Sunday, Greg and I went out to the grove and picked a big wagon full of fruit.  The oranges are so good this year.  I think I may say that every year though!
Right now we have navel oranges, pink grapefruit, yellow grapefruit, lemons and avocados that are ready for harvest. 
There is Geeps, loading up his bag with oranges.
We only have two lemon trees, but they are both loaded!
The "girls" have really worked over this load of mulch by the garden!  I believe that's Big Red there on the right, just getting the start of a Cock-a-doodle-doo off!
He really is a beautiful creature!  I hope we can keep him!  We have researched purchasing an incubator, and hope to hatch some of our chickies!!  The photo below is blurry, but I love how he has his hackles up and is in full crow.
This Spring we will doing some improvement to the existing coop.  It has served us well for the past 5 or 6 years though.
When we took our pool fence down, we used that to make a new enclosure, or run, if you will.  It is quite spacious for them.  When I collect eggs around 1:00 or so, I let them all out, to have free range of the property. 
That's Rebbie up there on the roof.  Her name is Rebel. She refuses to roost in the coop, but rather she climbs atop coop, then to a limb on the avocado tree above.  Now she has another one of the young girls doing it with her.  That small cage on top is a cage I use if ever I have a sick chick and have to cull her from the flock.  The raft is on the roof to prevent a leak we have in the roof from dripping over the roosts.  The white stick is a herding stick I use if I ever have to get them all gathered up quickly, and put back into the safety of their enclosed yard.  It works very well.
Yesterday I did my Valentine decorating.......ready?
I am working on a little wall quilt right now.  I have a 12 month series called Button Up's, and have had these patterns for years, and only done Oct-Dec.  I am going to try to get them all done!  This is January, so I had better hurry up!

While cutting these pieces out at my cutting table on Sunday, I reached behind me to pick something up, and the stool went straight out from underneath me, and I landed on top in a heap!  OUCH!
I need to go find another chair for my cutting table, now that I am used to sitting while there. 
I have an entire day of freedom, and have no idea what I am going to do with it!  Thrifting?  Movies?  Clean house?  Nah....scratch that last one.  This is too good to waste on a cleaning! 
I hope whatever you are doing, and wherever you are, that life is good.
See you soon.
XO  Kris


12 comments:

Kerri said...

I'm glad you're feeling better Kris and that you have the day off to enjoy! I agree- skip the housework and do something fun!

Looks like the kids are having so much fun at your house...I love when they come up with something on their own to do...just like we did back before all this technology!

My husband went to see The Revenant with some friends and he loved it. He said the scenery and time period were so well done and also the bear scene! I will wait and watch it when it comes out on demand. ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog...hoping to get back to this corner of the world that I have come to miss so much!

Enjoy your day!

Billie Jo said...

Hi! So glad you are feeling better!
Love the kids playing in the yard...
So nice to see. Nowadays, that is a rare sight.
Kids around here are way to busy with activities to just play.
In any case, enjoyed your post.
We are snuggled in here against the frigid cold and snow!!

Debbie said...

Soo glad you are feeling better! Girls playing softball sure brings back lots of memories. Melody played for years...soo fun. We saw Renevant on Sat. I agree good movie though pretty intense, but Leo should have oscar coming for that one HE WAS SOO GOOD! Sewing over here today. Have a good week Kris!

Teresa Kasner said...

Welcome back, Kris! I am so happy that you're blogging again! I love seeing your chickens and citrus orchards and your sewing and decorating. You inspire me. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Lil Raggedy Angie said...

Good Afternoon , great to read that you are feeling better. O , how amazing all the fresh fruit looks , that's one thing we don't have here in Ohio beautiful year round fruits ! Our lawn is awful brown and muddy but expecting more snow tomorrow , would much rather be playing softball at your place! I agree don't waste a good day cleaning ,,,hope you were able to enjoy with something fun ! ~hugs Angela

Betsy said...

Hi Kris, Wow look at all that fruit! I can taste those oranges right now. Love watching the kids with the baseball game. We used to do that as children. Everyone in the neighborhood would join in. I'm glad you're feeling better. There's so much crud going around. It's in Dennis's office now and I'm just hoping he doesn't catch it. That looks like a nasty fall you had. I hope you're all recovered from that too! I also love seeing and reading about your chickens. such fun! I've always wanted to have chickens, but think I've resigned myself to the fact it probably won't happen. Bummer. Have a great day Kris.
Blessings, Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

Yay! I'm glad you are feeling better, Kris...except for the fall :( Your harvest is amazing! Yum! I love seeing your happy chickens and your pretty projects, too. I have brought out some Valentine decorations, also. It's wonderful seeing the kids enjoy playing together, and your foggy morning was very beautiful. We are still getting lots of good rain. I hope you enjoyed your free day :) xx

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Your lovely post brought back memories of our years in California! I used to love watching the kids play ball in our yard! Glad you didn't get hurt in that fall!

podso said...

I'm glad you're feeling well and blogging again. It's nice to see the bits and pieces of your life--and I hope you had a great day when you didn't know how you'd spend it. I too loved seeing Brooklyn.

Jill said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better! Everything looks so warm there! :-) I would love to let our chickens free range but afraid I couldn't get them back in and something would happen to them. We have hawks etc that have already gotten our neighbor's chickens ( a couple of them) Glad you weren't hurt really bad when the stool broke! Love all your lemons, I drink lemon water every day :-) Great to see you blogging again.
Have a great night!

Blessings,
Jill

Mereknits said...

Glad you are feeling better Kris, you can tel even just by reading your blog. The kids are getting big aren't they? Love your Valentine's decorations.
Hugs,
Meredith

Nicolle said...

I have missed you and have missed checking in on your blog! Our home computer was down for months. It's nice to see Christopher on here! Your front yard is so amazing. I am sure the grandkids all love being over there. I'll try to check in more often now. xo