Tuesday, May 1, 2018

A Dachshund Has Stolen Our Hearts!

We lost our beloved Lab, Dusty, at the end of last summer.  We were broken hearted.  He came to us when he was 6.  He belonged to Greg's cousin, who passed away and there was no one to care for him. We wound up bringing him home with us the day of the funeral.  He was a 100 pounds of untrained lovable Marley-ness.  We worked with him, and he got a wee better, but he was always a puppy at heart.  And we loved him so!! 

 This was taken up in Big Bear, only a few weeks before he died.  We had decided that we would wait until Spring to get another dog.  And of course, we were interested in another Lab.  How can you go wrong with a Lab?  We have had 3.  I had made the decision to not get a puppy!  I didn't want to go through the puppy stage again.  And I was not opposed to rescuing a dog either.  In fact, I had made it a practice to pop into the animal shelter about once a week.  I also had not ruled out, a smaller dog.  One that would be easy to bring along with us in the trailer, and to take with me in the car.  At any rate, we were undecided, but knew that we would know when the time was right. 
I was attending a quilt retreat in March, and ran into a friend, who out of the blue, asked me if I would be interested in adopting her friends Dachshund?  I was so shocked.  I had not ever even thought of a Dachshund until my grandson got one for Christmas.  We had put feelers out for one his Mom could adopt for him.  But he got a puppy for Christmas, and it was no longer even on my radar.  I looked at the photos of this Dachshund in need of a home, and decided to call the lady.  We made arrangements for me to come and see him the following day.  The rest is history!
This is our Duke.



He is a 6 year old, blue eyed, Double Dapple, Standard Dachshund.  And we....are...in.....love!!!
He could not have come into our lives at a better time, and he is a perfect fit!!!  We have had him about six weeks now, and can't even imagine life without him.  He is pure love.  And so easy to have along.  We took him camping with us in the trailer last week, and he was perfect.  He has the best personality, and is full of energy, but well behaved.  I just can't believe we found each other.  He was already named Duke, and although at first, I didn't care for the name and wanted to change it, we opted to keep it.  He is after all, German. And he is Duke.  We love him so much!!! 

9 comments:

Bethany said...

I love when little dogs have big names!

Angela said...

Duke is adorable! So glad to see a list from you! Have really missed you!

Linda said...

3 cheers for Duke!
If he makes you happy...I think that’s great...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Betsy said...

Kris! Another post! I’m so, so happy! And your Duke is so adorable. I know what you mean about dogs. I don’t even want to think about what will happen to me when we lose Chloe. She is so precious. I’m so glad that he’s working out so well and loves the car and the trailer. Hugs and kisses to him from me.
Blessings, Betsy

Mereknits said...

Duke is darling, although in this house we would rather he be called Jayhawk or Packer. So glad he found you to love. My boys are just the best, well minus the broken wall, glasses, sofa, books............

Billie Jo said...

So happy to see you back here!!!!
And I love your sweet new friend.
The first thing I noticed was his big blue eyes. : )
Enjoy!!!
And please keep posting!!!

Gracie Saylor said...

Delighted to meet Duke, and so happy for you all and the adventures you will have together! xxxx

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Oh Duke is such a heartstealer...so happy for all of you!

Janeb said...

M-am căsătorit cu dragul meu soț în ultimii 12 ani fără să rămân însărcinată, iar fibromul a fost problema. Am luat diferite medicamente prescrise, dar nu am putut să le vindec, dar soțul meu era atât de încrezător în mine și mă tot încuraja că într-o zi cineva mă va numi mamă. nu s-a odihnit căutând o soluție de la diferiți medici, tot ce au putut vedea a fost o intervenție chirurgicală și mi-a fost frică de asta, o prietenă din cabinetul meu mi-a prezentat doctorul DAWN ACUNA, ea a spus că Dawn acuna a ajutat-o ​​când avea tubul blocat și a ajutat-o ​​și ea. multe dintre prietenele ei să conceapă,
I-am scris imediat pe Whatsapp, mi-a promis ca ma ajuta dupa ce i-am explicat totul, mi-a dat niste instructiuni care am facut totul perfect conform instructiunilor, la 3 saptamani dupa tot am fost la spital si doctorul mi-a confirmat sarcina in 1 saptamana dar chiar acum am copilul meu frumos.
*Dacă vrei să tratezi infertilitatea.
*Daca vrei sa ramai insarcinata rapid.
*Dacă vrei să-ți întorci iubitul.
*Dacă vrei o căsătorie pașnică.
*Dacă doriți să tratați boala canceroasă.
Și mulți alții îl contactează pe Dr dawn acuna pe Whatsapp:+2348032246310
E-mail: dawnacuna314@gmail.com