Thursday, May 3, 2018

Birds & Blooms & Veggie Gardens

This is a time of year that I love.  I plant my garden and watch it grow.  I set out bird feeders of all sorts, and enjoy the many varieties that come visit our home.  It amazes me, the many types of birds we have that reside, and pass through here on their migration.  If you feed them, they will come!!! This small thing, brings me a great deal of pleasure, especially in difficult times.  This feeder is stuck to the outside of the window with suction cups, and is in my laundry room, which is visible from the kitchen as well.  It is a very busy spot for seed and nut eating birds like this House Finch, and Grackles.

 Mr Western Bluebird stands watch on a branch next to the nest box, while the Mrs leaves for a quick stretch.  They are sitting on a clutch of 5 eggs.


 I have multiple hummingbird feeders.  It is a job keeping them full.  The migrating Orioles, who are here from March to September, also drink from them.
 Below is an Oriole Feeding station.  I keep oranges halved on spikes, and they love grape jelly.  So I always have cups of jelly out for them.
 This feeder hangs in the garden.  It is simply a tuna can screwed to a fenceboard.
My garden has taken off pretty well, with the exception of the new seeds I planted a few weeks ago.  I have only got a few things sprouting up, which is probably due to the tenacious Toehee's that insist on scratching up the seeds!










The basket of flowers on the garden gate is a bike basket I got thrifting.  I tied it on with zip ties, and filled the basket with flowers.  It is so pretty.  The chair with the broken rush seat that sits outside of garden gate, was one that belonged to my Nana. Instead of throw it away, I put a pot of flowers inside the broken seat.  The front garden has not taken off yet, except for a few heads of kale, and the beginnings of cucumbers and sweet peas along the fence.  I have strawberries in the pot where I just harvested potatoes.  They are going like gangbusters, and I have enjoyed them on my cereal several times already

My mother in law, Mac, loved impatiens, and these are planted along the garage in memory of her.
My cat Maui stands guard in front of the nasturtiums that are planted from seed in the backyard.

 She is a gorgeous Calico kitty.  Almost 15 now.  In retirement mostly, but still loves to watch the wildlife found here on Grover's Grove.
She is still somewhat skeptical about this new house guest, Duke.  Duke has almost convinced her to be his friend.

Poor Dukey  He just wants to play with everybody!!
He stands watch while I go tend to the chickens.

I have a broody  hen.  She will not get off of everyone's eggs.  She is sure she is going to hatch them.  I keep saying I will go get some fertile eggs and let her hatch them out.
 It is the white one, a Lavender Sussex, that wants to be a Mama.  She is making the others a little bit mad, by hogging one of the nest boxes!
Thanks for coming along on this little garden tour.  As Spring turns into Summer, there will be a lot more to see.
Thanks as well, for the warm welcome back.  I appreciate all of the kind words.
XO  Kris

8 comments:

Connie said...

I'm so glad to find you blogging recently, I've missed your posts. I too am feeding the hummingbirds and Orioles. John puts out feeders with seeds. We have a nice variety of birds and love watching them. Your gardens are so pretty!

xo Connie (this is my newest blog - yep, another one)

Between Me and You said...

Welcome back! Such a treat to read your posts.x

Betsy said...

I so enjoyed your bird and garden tour. I’m also very, very jealous of your beautiful garden greens. I’m missing romaine lettuce up here these days. For some reason I just can’t grow veggies here. I had a nice sized garden when we lived in the Midwest. Here, everything I plant gets eaten by bugs or birds before we get it!
Love the chickens and your pictures with Duke and your sweet Kitty made me smile. She looks like she’s barely tolerating him and he looks SO sweet and huggable. I’m so very glad you’re back to blogging my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mereknits said...

IT is so nice to walk around the garden with you, now if I could just pet Duke! Have a wonderful weekend Kris, by the way I meant to mention that your Mom looks great, hope she is doing better.

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow.. you're back! I'm so glad you're blogging again! I've re-added your blog to my blog roll so I won't miss a post. I love all your garden things, your birds, chickens, flowers, new dog and family celebrations! I'm happy to see you again. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

I love to visit your gardens and see your critters, Kris. Thanks for letting me visit. I dug up some dandelions and trimmed a Camelia bush the other day. Driving into the church parking lot I saw some red-winged blackbirds the other day! xx

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such a lovely post, Kris...smiled all the way through,,,still smiling!

Janeb said...

M-am căsătorit cu dragul meu soț în ultimii 12 ani fără să rămân însărcinată, iar fibromul a fost problema. Am luat diferite medicamente prescrise, dar nu am putut să le vindec, dar soțul meu era atât de încrezător în mine și mă tot încuraja că într-o zi cineva mă va numi mamă. nu s-a odihnit căutând o soluție de la diferiți medici, tot ce au putut vedea a fost o intervenție chirurgicală și mi-a fost frică de asta, o prietenă din cabinetul meu mi-a prezentat doctorul DAWN ACUNA, ea a spus că Dawn acuna a ajutat-o ​​când avea tubul blocat și a ajutat-o ​​și ea. multe dintre prietenele ei să conceapă,
I-am scris imediat pe Whatsapp, mi-a promis ca ma ajuta dupa ce i-am explicat totul, mi-a dat niste instructiuni care am facut totul perfect conform instructiunilor, la 3 saptamani dupa tot am fost la spital si doctorul mi-a confirmat sarcina in 1 saptamana dar chiar acum am copilul meu frumos.
*Dacă vrei să tratezi infertilitatea.
*Daca vrei sa ramai insarcinata rapid.
*Dacă vrei să-ți întorci iubitul.
*Dacă vrei o căsătorie pașnică.
*Dacă doriți să tratați boala canceroasă.
Și mulți alții îl contactează pe Dr dawn acuna pe Whatsapp:+2348032246310
E-mail: dawnacuna314@gmail.com